PDA

View Full Version : PARKING SENSORS

mac500
15-03-2006, 06:56 PM
I am thinking of installing the Taurus T123P parking sensor in my VW Passat mainly because it uses electro magnetic technology with the sensor in the form of an antenna fitted out of view along the rear of the plastic bumper. This system avoids the need to drill holes in the bumper as is required for the ultra sonic type sensors.
I have not been able to find any technical report on this type of parking sensor and am a little sceptical of some of the claims made by the manufacturer/dealers.
Personally I have no experience with parking sensors of any kind and would like to hear from anyone who has practical knowledge/experience of the Taurus system.
My main concerns are these.

The protection zone extends for only 80 cms from the rear bumper which is only about 50% of the coverage provided by the ultra sonic type. Is 80cms adequate?
I understand that objects are not picked up when the car is stationary. It is the change in the magnetical field which is created by the movement of the car towards an object that is detected.My fear would be that because the detection zone is so short, entry into the danger zone would be almost immediate, and, any interruption of the warning signal ,which would occur if the car is momentarily stopped, could create a potential danger. Is my concern unfounded?
3 I believe that the Taurus system, which is designed to pass magnetic waves through the plastic bumper, may
have difficulty picking up plastic objects such as traffic cones. Can anyone verify this please ? Are there any
other materials that may be invisible to the magnetic waves?
Thank you