PDA

View Full Version : Remapping and Insurance

WesleyP
13-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I was thinking of getting the 2.5Tdi engine in my Allroad remapped, mainly to make it a little better for caravan towing more than anything else. I did what I thought was the right thing and contacted my insurance company to see if there would be an increase in premium (maybe up to the same group as a 2.7 petrol, which is 40hp more powerful than a remapped diesel, only to be told that they would not cover me! Has anybody else had this problem? Thanks

Embisix
17-08-2010, 12:27 PM
I've not had that problem myself.

Now I'm not saying that not declaring a re-map is the right thing to do and I'm certainly not advising anyone to keep schtum about them, but I may have (ahem) 'forgotten' to mention it to my insurers.

Discuss.

MalcQV
17-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Embisix, you never know who is reading this.

I would always tell the insurance company of any change to my car. Mind you swapping a Passat for a Rover 25 a couple of months into the policy only saved me £12 after their 'admin' fee. Mind you it only has to get within a foot of a wall and being so cheap it will be written off :D

Eshrules
17-08-2010, 01:24 PM
'forgetting' to tell your insurance of a modification is short sighted and stupid.

You risk voiding your insurance.

If you hit me and it transpired you had no insurance, I'd be less than pleased.

Embisix - your sort of attitude is exactly why premiums are so high in the first place.

Embisix
17-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Esh

I just felt, at the time I had it done (not long after my last renewal in fact), that a remap, which is virtually undetectable and 'switch off-able' (unlike soldered in chips etc.) can wait until I next renew, at which point I intend to move to a more 'flexible' insurance company.

As long as you have declared absolutely every modification you have ever made (if any) to any vehicle you have ever owned immediately, I fully accept you calling me short sighted and stupid, on reflection, perhaps I am. But be assured, I will be putting this right.

Large portion of humble pie duly ordered chaps!

Eshrules
17-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I have always notified my insurance of every modification.

I remember my first car being fitted with aftermarket alloys and an CAI kit (it was my first car) - increased my premium by £300, but I was legal.

I paid an extra £550 for the remap on the golf.

I've just paid an increase on my current premium to see the polo's suspension uprated and lowered.

So, you'll have to excuse me for being a little short, but if everyone were more honest and had valid insurance, premiums would not be so high.

Embisix
17-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Accepted Esh, I appreciate your position and respect your views. Like I say, it will be put right and I've just tucked into my humble pie.

I would just like to add, I have always declared the very few modifications (mainly cosmetic) I have made to my cars over the last 20 odd years. Please don't make me out to be some kind of serial insurance fraudster Esh.

Eshrules
17-08-2010, 03:30 PM
as per my PM - I've only stated my opinion, whether or not you or others agree with it, is the debatable point, the reason this forum exists.

Plenty have agreed with me, more have disagreed - it's how it all works so beautifully.

sharalaxy
17-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I've not had that problem myself.

Now I'm not saying that not declaring a re-map is the right thing to do and I'm certainly not advising anyone to keep schtum about them, but I may have (ahem) 'forgotten' to mention it to my insurers.

Discuss.

Your insurance is invalid and when you try to reinsure your car the premium will be massive, that's if you are insurable.

Sorry to say this but you are inconsiderate and stupid, sorry if the words hurt but if you have a claim that will hurt much worse.:zx11:

sharalaxy
17-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Esh

I just felt, at the time I had it done (not long after my last renewal in fact), that a remap, which is virtually undetectable and 'switch off-able' (unlike soldered in chips etc.) can wait until I next renew, at which point I intend to move to a more 'flexible' insurance company.

As long as you have declared absolutely every modification you have ever made (if any) to any vehicle you have ever owned immediately, I fully accept you calling me short sighted and stupid, on reflection, perhaps I am. But be assured, I will be putting this right.

Large portion of humble pie duly ordered chaps!

My apolagies here I had not read this far. :o

Ben
18-08-2010, 07:56 AM
there is a sticky in the chipped uk / chip 'n' spin section. I suggest you read it.

Esh, could you post a link to ih here please. I can't do that on my mobile.

Eshrules
18-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I think this is the one

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13698

Celtic Eagle
30-08-2010, 12:44 PM
I would just like to add, I have always declared the very few modifications (mainly cosmetic) I have made to my cars over the last 20 odd years. .

Only quoted this bit because I have a relevant question. Just how far does infroming of modifications go e.g. If you replaced a factory fitted stereo with an aftermarket upgrade do you have to notify. I didn't realise this was such a minefield.

MalcQV
30-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Only quoted this bit because I have a relevant question. Just how far does infroming of modifications go e.g. If you replaced a factory fitted stereo with an aftermarket upgrade do you have to notify. I didn't realise this was such a minefield.It is a difficult one but I would say certainly if you wish the aftermarket unit to be replaced in the event of loss otherwise the insurance would pay out for a standard unit.

The difficult part is, if the unit you buy is expensive then it could increase the risk of the car being broken into. I would personally tell the insurance company.

Celtic Eagle
30-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi Malc I can see the point there but what I am really asking is what can you modify without telling the insurance. From the general tone it seems if you put a pair of fuzzy dice in it could affect your insurance The whole thing just seems typically over the top. Why for instance would a cosmetic change which does not make the car behave any differently or make it more "stealable" have to be notified.

Eshrules
30-08-2010, 04:47 PM
a certain amount of common sense has to be applied.

something like an aftermarket stereo (unless a fully customised fitted system) is unlikely to cause you any issues, but would not be paid out for, as Malc states.

Alloy wheels, body kits, spoilers, tints on the windows - obvious modifications are something you should inform them of.

a new set of car seat covers or a couple of furry dice are not.

Celtic Eagle
30-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Cheers Esh
Yeah furry dice was a bit tongue in cheek. It is a bit unclear suppose a lot depends on the company the car and the driver really. It's an interesting subject though.

zollaf
30-08-2010, 08:51 PM
furry dice, if hanging from the rear view mirror, or indeed any ornament, will fail an mot test for obscuring the drivers view of the road, or at least should fail.