PDA

View Full Version : audi coupe b3 central locking !!HELP!!

sox
11-06-2007, 09:03 PM
:zx11: Hi all
im having a real problem with my central locking system on my 89 coupe quattro. it dosnt work at all.ive tried two pumps,i cant find any splits in the hose lines,the fuse is ok and there is 12volts coming from the connector to the pump!
There seems to be a little air pressure at the end of the pipelines when i turn the key in the door but not a lot.the motor in the pump itself dosnt operate at all.(no sound)
the ony place i havnt checked is under the dash but i dont really wanna get all that out if i can help it.
Can anyone help me??????

tar
rich

RJS_90q
20-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Rich,
I think you need to take this a stage at a time starting with a wiring diagram to find out how the system operates. This will allow you to see how the circuit works and then trace through the system for faults.

You have checked the fuse and there is 12V at the connector to the pump. Is this 12V measured inside the door? What happens next ? Can you check between the switch and the pump for continuity using a meter ? It could be that power is available at the door connector but doesn't make it back to the pump due to a broken wire after the switch (eg at the entry to the door as this are is vulnerable to damage?

Hope you manage to trace the problem

Bob

Hi all
im having a real problem with my central locking system on my 89 coupe quattro. it dosnt work at all.ive tried two pumps,i cant find any splits in the hose lines,the fuse is ok and there is 12volts coming from the connector to the pump!
There seems to be a little air pressure at the end of the pipelines when i turn the key in the door but not a lot.the motor in the pump itself dosnt operate at all.(no sound)
the ony place i havnt checked is under the dash but i dont really wanna get all that out if i can help it.
Can anyone help me??????
tar
rich

sox
21-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I appriciate your help.
what ive got so far:
*The pump is in working order
*there is 12v to the pump/motor via the connector
*the fuse is fine
*i have metered the swicthes in the door actuators and they are working correctly.
*there is 8.6volts to each of the door pumps/actuators (is that enough?)
*i cant find any leaks in the vacuum hose

i turn the key and nothing happens.other than that door locks manually .the central locking dos'nt even try.it must be electrical
but i cant pin it down

any other ideas??
tar
rich

RJS_90q
22-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi Rich,
I've been checking out the wiring diagram and there are a few options here (please note that it is an American manual and there may be minor variations (?)

There looks to be several connections into the pump:
wire colours:-
brown (earth)
green/red trace (from left switch)
red/black trace (from fuse box)
red (from ignition switch)
green/blue trace (from right switch)

So, you need to check that you have 12V at the pump across the brown and red/black trace (to check supply from fuse box) - I think this will be the voltage you already see at the pump ?

You then have to place the key into the ignition (do not turn the key) and this should provide voltage from the ignition switch to the motor (red wire) - check between here and earth. This is related to a function that disables the locking if the key is in the ignition (to stop locking the keys in the car). With the key in it should be 12V.
Remove the key and this should change to 0V

Probably worth checking the above and then we can review.

Please be careful with the leads, we do not want any shorts :D

Hope that this helps,
Bob

sox
23-06-2007, 01:00 PM
hi Bob,

ok so i metered across every wire related to the central locking.(as far as i can tell).
All have continuity / voltage across them.
From the fuse to each of the actuators
from one actuator to the other.+ 8.5v to each.
Every wire in the pump connector from the actuators and around the car to the fuse is fine.and the pump/motor has 12v.
also the interior light + relay is working correctly.(its wired into the same system).

I did not know that the ignition system was wired into this.it wouldnt appear to be like that in my haynes manaul but it isnt a quattro manual so it could be an extra thing with the quattro model.

Thanks for pointing that out matey, i'll check it out & come back to you
I hope i can sort this before i loose to much of my hair.

cheers rich.:zx11:

scotty33
23-06-2007, 11:24 PM
I don't know what the voltages should be, but I'm suspicious of the 8.5v at the actuators.
I'm not an electrical type, but surely that should be 12v? Maybe you have a bad earth somewhere, or a wire breaking down at the door hinge area (as said above)?
Maybe you could try applying 12v to the wire that goes from the actuator, to the pump, see if this makes the pump run, proves you do need the 12v?

arthurcole
28-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Hi,

Please help - you are doing much better than me as i cant even find where the central locking pump is.

The Haynes manual shows pictures of it in the boot by the rear washer resevoir, but it is not there.

Thank you for your help.

Arthur

scotty33
28-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi Arthur,

on coupe's it's behind the interior trim on the driver's side, but alongside the rear seat, basically it's sat on the wheel arch but you have to remove the rear quarter trim to get at it