PDA

View Full Version : software help.

tonyjoe40
11-08-2010, 03:39 PM
hi all. i need a favour if anyone can help. my son bought a laptop off ebay. it was only cheap. its a dell latitude. it seems he misread the ad and it does have the operating system(windows xp proffesional sp2)loaded on to it though it does have the licence. he assumed the disc came with it but it doesnt. he emailed the seller and the reply was that any windows xp disc will do. he found a proper dell windows restore disc on ebay and bought that for £6 but the laptop wont load properly. does anyone have a genuine windows xp professional sp2 disc i could borrow to see if we can get this laptop working before i have to buy it off him and throw it away. thanks all.

NickPicks
11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Since I'm feeling nice today, and I'll be driving through Aylesbury tomorrow afternoon, I have an XP SP3 CD you could borrow. You will need your own COA and licence.

I'll send you a PM to arrange where to meet / drop off.

RickT
11-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Just one thing to note, the license key will not work with all XP SP3 cd's, they are batched to allow x amount of codes per disc. you can try it by all means but just an heads up.

Google it...

Rick

DSG4ME
12-08-2010, 12:35 AM
What exactly are you wanting to do with it?

Is it virused and you want to clean it?

Or are you trying to add features to it?

The SP3 disc probably won't work, if the machine has XP SP2 it's most likely a 2600 iirc build one and will baulk at the wrong disc, however, rather than scrap it, why not play some Ubuntu on it, this will allow you to determine the machines overall condition, and it's free ;)

AudiDave
06-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Is the Dell restore disc for the correct model of machine?