PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption..!

Pimped-Passat
11-06-2007, 04:32 PM
VAG-sters

I have just checked the oil on my new ’07 Passat 2.0 Tdi and I was surprised to see that it needed topping up after only doing 1200 miles...!

It took about half a litre to bring it up to the max marker.

Is this normal on a new motor these days..?

My 2004 1.9 Tdi was never as thirsty..!

Cheers

P-P

PS – How crap is the new dip stick on this engine..?!!!

DaveA
14-06-2007, 03:49 PM
I've just had the same problem on my 5 mth old passat. Lights came on, called VW assist as I had no oil in the car after 5000 miles, garage forgot to tell me that this is common on these engines for the first 10,000 miles.

It is apparently to do with the high grade long life oil that finds its way into even the smallest of places as the engine is running in. VW assist and the garage said this is completely normal and should settle down by about 10,000 miles, so keep an eye on it.

I was so annoyed with the garage that they didn't tell me and the potential problems it could have caused they offered me my first service free.

Dip stick is what I wanted to call the man who sold me the car. At least I know now and you're right it's rubbish and hard to read.

I think it does refer to this problem in the hand book somewhere as well.

Dave

VAG-sters

I have just checked the oil on my new ’07 Passat 2.0 Tdi and I was surprised to see that it needed topping up after only doing 1200 miles...!

It took about half a litre to bring it up to the max marker.

Is this normal on a new motor these days..?

My 2004 1.9 Tdi was never as thirsty..!

Cheers

P-P

PS – How crap is the new dip stick on this engine..?!!!

Quatrelle
14-06-2007, 05:19 PM
This post keeps coming up - is this take 3 PP?:confused::D - I've copied my original reply here.

With that useless dipstick I'm surprised you could tell you'd used any! I usually press the dipstick on a piece of clean tissue and I've just added ½ a litre after 5000kms but it's all guess work - in fact I'm not sure if I added too much.

The VW dealer gave me a litre when I bought the car and told me to check and add as necessary - yours should improve, hopefully, so keep a close eye on it and I'll do the same and let you know.

The VW driver's manual suggests, if my memory serves, that 'your' consumption is not unexpected (can't remember what page).

I've never added oil between changes on our Laguna I, and that's on 8000km changes.

BenR
18-06-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm getting the same with my 2.0 Tdi. 5000 miles now and still using about half a litre per 1000.

snodrogs
05-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I just clocked over 10,000km in my car. I had to add 200ml of oil from the 1 litre bottle the dealer gave me when I picked it up in order to take the oil back up to full on the dipstick.

I do the same thing as Quartelle (I think it was) and take the dipstick out, clean it up, re-insert, withdraw and run my finger down from the full end until I hit oil.

The service manual does show you how much it should take to top up depending upon where the oil is on your dipstick. The shape of the dipstick does suck though...

Andrew

tr8
06-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I am on my 3rd 2.0tdi and all 3 have drunk lots of oil,
My current car is 4 1/2 months old and has travelled some 27k.
I used about 3l of oil before the first service ( 20K )
and already used 1l since service.

Dont worry this is simular to my last 2 cars and both went well over 150k miles in 2 years without changing and are probably still running well