PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Water in engine oil

Almac1903
10-08-2010, 07:49 PM
My Mrs has a VW Passat 1.8 Petrol 2001 reg she drove over a large deep pool of water last week during a thunder storm - she drove the car for a few miles more to do shopping - no problems but near to home she stopped at a junction and car stalled/ would not start - I had to tow her home - I guess water in electrics as when I put on tow rope I noticed plastic tray under sump was loose at front so flood water could shoot in! I checked the oil before starting it looked ok so after leaving overnight I tried to start - with an effort started but bad miss-fire/ and not so happy noise coming from engine - engine oil looked like brown coffee - water in sump! - So changed oil/new filter/plugs and changed air filter (old filter quite dry) - got mate to check compression/coolent level as normal so head ok! - Now engine management light on and its hard to start - needs lots of turn of starter to fire-up - when running ok - maybe I should take for a long run and see if starting improved - my mate checked fuel pump its working ok! - maybe I should take to local garage and get computer check to see why bad starting problem! Any advice please and where did water come from????

cheers
AM:Blush2:

Crasher
10-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Has it lost any coolant?

If she drove through deep water it may have sucked it in through the air cleaner and hydro locked the engine which can easily bend a rod.

Almac1903
10-08-2010, 08:15 PM
hi coolent level ok! but I guess you are correct about water in intake - engine sounds ok now but maybe bent rod is affecting starting?? - running ok when it starts and sounds quiet engine management light now on but difficult to start!!!

cheers
Al:Blush2:

NickPicks
11-08-2010, 08:21 AM
A bent rod would affect the compression aswell wouldn't it? did you compression test all the cylinders?

If the engine management light is on, then it should have some fault codes stored for you.

Almac1903
11-08-2010, 06:37 PM
thanks, yes my mate checked all and he said compression ok! so maybe lucky, nothing damaged on head - but will go to my local garage and get engine ccodes checked

Al

fourringsrus
12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Maybe as you suggested some water has upset some electrics, ie coil packs ,leads etc

Almac1903
16-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi anyone, it looks like the Passat engine is blown it will not spark - i guess something is bust in engine - either the block is cracked as water is getting into oil from coolant- engine is solid will not move - so its either a new engine (expensive) or a reconditioned - its a Petrol SE 1984CC - engine code AZM - anyone got any info on engine rebuilders?? - not to sure about breakers as engine they supply may be duff!! - The Passat bodywork etc is in excellent condition so it is a pity to send to crushers

cheers
Am:1zhelp:

Crasher
17-09-2010, 10:46 AM
So it has gone from not sparking to seized without running, very odd!

Almac1903
24-11-2010, 07:40 PM
hi advice please, the Passat engine is bust, the Passat is sitting in our garage, body work is excellent so a shame to scrap the vehicle - i think a replacement engine is the next stage - got a motor engineer friend who will swap engines but I need to find one! - I guess breakers are a bit of a gamble any suggestions?? Looking on ebay I find that engine which I think code is AZM not so available - Any issues with using another VW petrol engine (20 valve) with a different engine code or will that cause more problems or does can anyone advise a recon engine supplier my friend says normally a bare engine is supplied

cheers
Al:Blush:

zollaf
24-11-2010, 08:20 PM
i would love to know what has happened to your engine. as crasher as already said, ''very odd'. have you removed the spark plugs and tried to turn it over ?

NickPicks
24-11-2010, 11:18 PM
What specifically has bust? Even if you've bent a rod or broken a piston, it's not that big a job to rebore, repiston, skim the head and reassemble.

Do you trust your mechanic?

Are you sure the water is getting into the oil from the coolant? Remember you said she drove it through a flood before all this trouble started.

Did you have a fult code read?

Is the engine siezed? Have you tried turning it over by hand?

I'd say it would be worth dropping the sump and taking the head off to have a look before diagnosing it as "Bust"

It seems either you haven't told us the full story, or you've not been getting the best advice, or something else.

As Crasher and Zollaf have said something seems "Very odd"