PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Rattle from Cold Start

A.Addict
09-08-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm getting a metallic rattle from the exhaust/cat/heatshield on my car. Its only from a cold start and lasts literally 30 seconds/200 yards and at about 2500 rpm. As soon as it stops it doesn't return until another cold start.

Car's a 1.4s 2010MY with 3000miles

Any ideas?

Steve_D
09-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Obviously something loose on/in the exhaust that closes/tightens up with heat as the exhaust warms up and expands. Might have to leave the car at the dealers overnight so they can check it first thing in the morning after a cold start.

Blackthorn
12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Mine does the same thing, although I haven't really got around to trying to work out exactly where it comes from.

I do recall reading in the manual though that these engines are particularly noisy from cold, it's just a "feature" apparently. I'll try and remember to dig it out later and see exactly what it says about it.

nickbarnard
23-09-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm getting a metallic rattle from the exhaust/cat/heatshield on my car. Its only from a cold start and lasts literally 30 seconds/200 yards and at about 2500 rpm. As soon as it stops it doesn't return until another cold start.

Car's a 1.4s 2010MY with 3000miles

Any ideas?

I get the metallic rattle from cold starts, asked a few people and they thought something might be loose on the back of the car. But it always seems to go away after 30 seconds of driving. Waiting for VW to call me back will ask about it and let you know!

percymon
24-09-2010, 11:34 AM
I've got the same resonance but as i only get it once , when pulling out of the first T junction i'm not too concerned. Mine is a 1.6TDI, it sounds like its the top of the engine. Its slightly worse (marginal) since i fitted the tuning box. I wonder whether it might actually be the engine cover or a part of the wiring loom rattling at the top of the engine rather than a loose metal part.