PDA

View Full Version : Saw her for the first time today

Phil_P
07-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Today we went over to the dealership to choose our registration plate for the new Passat estate ready for collection on 1st September.

The car was out back waiting to be prepared so we got a quick look :D

She is a highline estate in Mocca Anthracite which is a very dark brown colour, almost black. We'd not seen the colour in the flesh before ordering so were a little hesitant, but seeing it now I can say it's a fine choice and not too brown. I'm pretty sure it's the same colour as the Estate on the front of the Passat brochure. It's obviously not a common colour choice as the dealers said they had only ever sold one in that colour before and I don't think I've ever seen one on the road, although it would be easily mistaken for black if you weren't looking hard.

Looking forward to picking her up in 3 and a half weeks :)

Crackman 619
07-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Congratulations mate bet your well excited :D

As someone who has never bought a new car cuz they be too expensive for me can you please explain what choosing your registration means? im confused

I want pics loll

What options have you got on her?

DSG4ME
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Take your hands out of your pockets and step away from the vehicle slowly sir. ;)

Congrats mate, I hope it proves to be a good buy for you.

Phil_P
07-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Congratulations mate bet your well excited :D

As someone who has never bought a new car cuz they be too expensive for me can you please explain what choosing your registration means? im confused

I want pics loll

What options have you got on her?

The dealership gets sent through a list of number plates (registrations) they can assign to new cars, and some will allow you to go in and pick from the list. In reality you are only choosing the last three letters from a very short list of around 100 as the first two letters (the region) and the numbers (the year) are already fixed. We didn't have a great choice to choose from and ended up with HDU (the range went from HDA to HGZ). I noticed a Mr Higgs had chosen HGG so he did OK :D

As it's a highline it is already fairly well spec'd so we only upgraded to the touch screen radio (RCD510) and went for tinted rear windows to keep child and dog cool in the rear. I also got a rubber mat for the boot. I'm a little surprised parking sensors are not standard, but I refuse to pay £400 extra for those.

logiclee
07-08-2010, 07:11 PM
. I'm a little surprised parking sensors are not standard, but I refuse to pay £400 extra for those.

I can remember seeing just the rear of mine having it's PDi a couple of days before I picked it up, certainly gets the excitement building.
Dealer asked me if I wanted to choose registration but as I'll be putting my own plate on soon (V8 then my initials V8 LLC) I wasn't bothered. I was a bit suprised when he told me my plate was FD10WCV, nice to have WC in the registration. :biglaugh:

I thought £400 was a ripoff too but my dealer offered dealer fit rear sensors for £250, I wanted the dealer fit MDI as well which is around £275.
We settled on paying 50/50 so the rear sensors only cost £125.
Maybe worth asking the dealer, the sensors don't look as good as the factory ones but they still look OK.
Have a look at the pics here.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=103399

Cheers
Lee

Quatrelle
07-08-2010, 08:12 PM
...She is a highline estate in Mocca Anthracite which is a very dark brown colour, almost black. We'd not seen the colour in the flesh before ordering so were a little hesitant, but seeing it now I can say it's a fine choice and not too brown. I'm pretty sure it's the same colour as the Estate on the front of the Passat brochure. It's obviously not a common colour choice as the dealers said they had only ever sold one in that colour before and I don't think I've ever seen one on the road, although it would be easily mistaken for black if you weren't looking hard....

Mocca is quite popular in France - I've got one:approve:

Phil_P
07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I thought £400 was a ripoff too but my dealer offered dealer fit rear sensors for £250, I wanted the dealer fit MDI as well which is around £275.
We settled on paying 50/50 so the rear sensors only cost £125.
Maybe worth asking the dealer, the sensors don't look as good as the factory ones but they still look OK.
Have a look at the pics here.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=103399

Cheers
Lee

That's a more reasonable amount to pay and yours look just fine.

colour-smart
17-08-2010, 02:44 AM
Hi, We supply parking sensors colour coded to factory colour, please take a look at out site, we have a car gallery of customers cars and if you need any more info then please feel free to email me info@colour-smart.org

http://www.colour-smart.org (http://www.colour-smart.org/)

http://www.colour-smart.org/pub/files/1281891676_matched.gif (http://www.colour-smart.org)

bobwmac
17-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Congratulations, Phil.

You'll get a new "60" plate on 1 September I see. Does your dealer do the whole fanfare bit, having you drive out from roped off pride of place in the showroom like they were launching a ship? Once upon a time they'd tied a huge bow round my daughter's 21st birthday present and that was OK, but being a fully paid up member of the Dull Men's Club, I had expected to sidle in for the keys and pick up my own car from the back door.

Good choice of colour, I've seen a Mocca motor and not only did it look smart and sophisticated, it looked clean... unlike the Island Grey version which I have. I bought the nondescript grey to dully reflect my personality and you can polish the thing until your hand falls off but it's all in vain when you hit the washers - you can see the streaks along the sides from 50 yards (does anyone know how to disable headlamp washers?).

Being the 1st of September, you'll have an audience... so remember not to stall when commencing your maiden voyage. :Blush2:

logiclee
17-08-2010, 02:20 PM
I can remember when plate change was yearly the dealers used to open at midnight. I've been a couple of times at midnight to pick new cars up. Sad eh?:D

My dealer usually gives a bouqet of flowers and a bottle of bubbly to new car buyers. I told him to forget that and put me parking sensors and a Media In adaptor in instead. Wife wasn't impressed. :biglaugh:

He wouldn't go for that so we settled at 50/50 split of the cost.

My 10 plate will only be 7 weeks old when the 60's come out but as it's on a private plate I wasn't bothered.
My Dad's waiting for a 60 plate Octavia though, I've bought him a 60 plate with his initials on for £399 (Similar to BD60 BHD). He doesn't know yet.

Cheers
Lee

Phil_P
17-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Unfortunately I'm at work on the 1st, so the wife will go pick up the new car.

I doubt there'll be too much pomp and ceremony - the dealer wanted us to book a time to collect as she is busy that day with about 8 new car's going out I believe. I suspect we'll get the standard 30 minute pay and handover routine.

Phil_P
03-09-2010, 10:48 PM
The wife picked her up on the 1st, and has been driving her this week. I got to take her out for the first time tonight for a quick drive and am very impressed.

Coming from a Skoda Octavia, the ride is significantly better (not that the Skoda is at all bad) - definitely a step up in class. The Skoda is an older 1.9TDI PD engine, and the Passat's newer CR engine drives very differently, much more like a petrol engine needing to be revved a lot higher. It will take a bit of getting used to - not sure which I prefer yet as initially it seems very flat after the power delivery of the PD engines.

Two things - cruise control and autohold - wow, both brilliant :biggthump

I'll try to get some photo's up on the weekend.

Crackman 619
03-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Hope you get to love the passat as much as we all do (until our injector goes but your safe in your CR)

And as the car is new it probz needs to get loosened up cuz im defo sure the CR engines are much better than the PD's.

Phil_P
03-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Hope you get to love the passat as much as we all do (until our injector goes but your safe in your CR)

And as the car is new it probz needs to get loosened up cuz im defo sure the CR engines are much better than the PD's.

Oh yes, no doubt the CR engine is hugely more refined than the PD. ATM it's just getting used to not having that huge power surge you get with the PD, which kind of makes it feel a little flat. In reality, it's just as fast to 60 just that the power delivery is much more even across the range whereas the PD engines dump their torque in one huge lump that pins you back in the seat and puts a huge grin on your face.

Crackman 619
03-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Lol yes thats true but as the PD gives you all the torque in a short space (its 700rev range in the PD's but about 200revs in mine lol) if your in the wrong gear or pulling onto a roundabout its abit scary when theres no power at the lower revs..you could always re-map your CR for extra oomph hehe

johnloaderuk
04-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Oh yes, no doubt the CR engine is hugely more refined than the PD. ATM it's just getting used to not having that huge power surge you get with the PD

I can't say I feel the CR is hugely more refined than a PD, very little in it I'd say, especially when you compare the noise figures from each in the VW brochures. I had a B6 2.0 PD 140 from new, did 146k in it, and earlier this year got a new CR 140, and although different, not that much different. I still get caught out by the lack of low down power, from say 1200 to 1500 revs, and for sheer driveability, low rev torque etc, it's still not as good as the older 1.9 130 engine, but that's down to the 130 being 8 valve as opposed to the 16 valve 140. There have been a few caravan owners on here who have mentioned this who were used to the torque of the 1.9 130 and then swapped to the 2.0 140, expecting it to be better. The VW figures are similar for both engines, but the reality is quite different. Progress in some ways but not in other ways it seems.

Certainly it's a far better cruising engine, with 70mph coming up at 1800rpm, so it's lower revving than my older 140 PD, and 400 rpm lower than a 1.9 130 at the same speed, with the resultant benefit in fuel consumption. The best I've seen is average 68mpg over a drive from the south of the UK to the north, then back down again, at steady motorway pace. The cruise is great for this, especially as it works in either 1mph or 5mph increments, rarely having to use the foot pedal.

Hope you enjoy your new car, they are very nice and the only thing I'd swap mine for is a new B6 Sport, or a new Skoda Superb.

logiclee
04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I can't say I feel the CR is hugely more refined than a PD, very little in it I'd say, especially when you compare the noise figures from each in the VW brochures. .

Really John? I've never driven a 2.0TDi PD Passat but I've owned 3 different PD engined cars, my wife has a 1.9PD Fabia and my Dad has a 2.0TDi PD Jeep.
The first thing I noticed about the CR engine was how much more refined it is. Light throttle cruising sound level isn't much different I agree but under load at higher rpm all the PD engined cars I've driven get very vocal. In comparison the CR engine revs to near 5000rpm very sweetly.

Power delivery is very different I agree, to be honest nearly all later generation 16V CR's are the same, smooth torque delivery and ability to rev high. TDCi Mondeo's are the same, the old Mk3 130bhp TDCi used to pump out 243lbft @1800rpm (243lbft@1800rpm) but maximum power was 3500rpm and there wasn't much point going any further all the torque in one slug. Trouble is you couldn't use full throttle in the first 2 gears because of wheel spin. The new PSA engined Mk4 mondeo has very similar power delivery to the VAG CR's it builds torque smoothly and will rev to 4500rpm sweetly.

It's just how diesel engines have progressed I suppose, a smooth linear torque delivery is more refined and easier to get the power down and is probably quicker, just doesn't shove you in the back like the old school diesels used to.

Cheers
Lee

johnloaderuk
05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
It's just how diesel engines have progressed I suppose, a smooth linear torque delivery is more refined and easier to get the power down and is probably quicker, just doesn't shove you in the back like the old school diesels used to

I don't find the CR 140 torque delivery that good when compared to the older 1.9 130 Passat Sport diesel with a six speed gearbox. My newer CR still catches me out as you put your foot down at say 1200rpm, only to find nothing happens until you get to 1500 to 1800rpm, then off it goes. Scary at times, especially when trying to move off a bit sharpish from a junction or roundabout. It's better than my older 2.0 140 PD, but nowhere near as good as the 1.9 130 six speeder.

The older 130 pulls hard from 1000rpm quite quickly, then it's really linear up through the revs. I think that's due to the 8 valve being better than a 20 valve engine at lower revs. I still much prefer the torque delivery of the older 130 engine.

I see you have a DSG, mine is a manual, so maybe you never notice this as it perhaps chooses a more relative gear in the same circumstances.

The CR is quiter overall, but not by as much as I was hoping it would be and from what I'd read in the press.

Certainly the CR is progress in terms of economy and emissions, but for sheer driveability the 1.9 130 with six speed box is far better.

A few caravan owners found this when they went from the 1.9 130 to the 2.0 (but PD at the time), only to find the newer engine really lacking in low down torque, resulting in towing being far more stressfull to both the car and driver. Towing seems exaggerate this characteristic further still.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=100233&highlight=caravan

logiclee
05-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I see you have a DSG, mine is a manual, so maybe you never notice this as it perhaps chooses a more relative gear in the same circumstances.

Perhaps so John, the DSG will go down to about 1200rpm but only on a very light throttle, if you put your foot down more than around a third travel the DSG will shift down a gear. If you have more than half throtlle pressed then you are going to be above 1500rpm.
The DSG tends to hang on gears too long sometimes, even with 3/4 throtlle pressed it'll rev to near 4500rpm off the line. It certainly seems to favour 2k to 4k revs when pushing on.
If I want to get away quick from the lights I prefer manual mode and shift at 4k, seems quicker than revving to 4800rpm as the DSG would do.

But I know what you mean my old TDCi Mondeo could be driven without ever going over 3k revs when pushing on and less than 2k revs if not, plenty of shove low down. The new Mondeo is like the VAG CR, revs sweeter but you have to use the revs more to get the same progress.

Cheers
Lee

Phil_P
05-09-2010, 07:59 PM
But I know what you mean my old TDCi Mondeo could be driven without ever going over 3k revs when pushing on and less than 2k revs if not, plenty of shove low down.

That's pretty much how I drive my 1.9TDI Octavia - change up around 2-2.5K rpm and very rarely will I hit 3000rpm, only when having a bit of a blast.

I've only driven the new Passat twice and immediately I've noticed it needs to be revved a lot higher - changing up into 3rd at 2000rpm leaves it totally flat. As a consequence it feels far less economical and I also feel it needs more throttle just to continue at a given speed. I feel like I'm tickling the throttle in the Octavia whereas I'm having to apply far more throttle in the Passat.

Still, if I get 50mpg out of it I'll be happy :beerchug:

Quatrelle
05-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm sure it'll be better when its run in.

You are running it in properly, aren't you? ;) :D

Phil_P
05-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm sure it'll be better when its run in.

I tend to drive sensibly, so keeping below 3000 rpm for the first 1000 miles isn't difficult for me. If anything, I'm probably guilty of letting the engine labour at low revs. We don't tow anything so running in is pretty much normal driving for me.

logiclee
05-09-2010, 09:12 PM
It's just a different driving style you will have to get used to, the CR engines are very economical, I'm getting high 40's mixed driving and over 50mpg is easy out of town and that's with a 140 with DSG, your 110 manual should better that.
Don't worry about the throttle position. Throttle pedal position is just an input to an ecu so a lot of the time you are just comparing maps and not engine output. Just because you are pressing the pedal further doesn't always mean you are using more fuel.
Alfa does this trick a lot, they tend to map 90% of the engine output into the first inch of pedal travel, makes the car feel really strong but of course you dont gain as much if you floor it. BMW tend to be the opposite the first half of the pedal travel is mapped for smooth progress with the fast stuff being reserved for the second half. And of course some cars have switchable throttle response.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee
05-09-2010, 09:20 PM

That was the longest 1200 miles of my life.:biglaugh:

I did no more than half throttle and 3000rpm for the first 600 miles then gradually increased and did my first full throttle blip through the gears at 1200 miles.
Now done 1600 miles and it's starting to rev a little more freely. Oil level hasn't moved at all, still on the full mark.

Cheers
Lee

Phil_P
25-09-2010, 06:56 PM
I have the entry level 110bhp 2.0L CR engine.

We've had her nearly a month now and done around 600 miles and I am certainly getting used to her. The engine is definitely more refined (quieter, smoother) that the older PD engines and drives more like a petrol than a diesel. Power delivery is good across the rev range (although I haven't revved it above 3000rpm yet) and there's no noticeable loss of torque low down compared to my 1.9 TDI Octavia.

The ride is wonderfully smooth compared to the Octavia clearly placing the Passat a class above despite both car's being of comparable size and performance.

I'm particularly interested to see how the economy will work out. My 1.9TDI Octavia returns ~55mpg (real, brim to brim) on my daily commute and so far the Passat has done ~600 miles with ~200 miles range remaining showing on the trip computer (on the same commute). Therefore, if I get around 800 miles from a 70L tank that's around 52mpg (850 miles = 55mpg). I should get to fill her up next week so I'll get my first real indication of how she's doing. I'll be happy with anything over 50mpg.

I think the 2.0CR Passat is more economical as a cruiser as I think she does less rpms to maintain the same speed, whereas I find the 1.9TDI more economical around town as I can often stay in a higher gear and use less revs just going with the flow of traffic.

Only one minor niggle so far - the Octavia has great clips in the boot for hanging bags of shopping so they stay upright - those flash metal clips on the Passat are useless in comparison. The wife has one minor niggle too - she can only just reach the tailgate to close it when open as she's not the tallest person in the world - a dangly rubber handle wouldn't have broke the bank.

logiclee
26-09-2010, 11:39 AM
I haven't driven a 110 but I've just done 2000 miles in my 140 and it's just starting to loosen up a bit now I can push it a bit. A big difference to your 1.9PD will be the ability to rev, the 2.0CR will pull and rev sweetly to above 4500rpm where the old 1.9 didn't feel happy above 3500rpm.

Remember the Octavia is actually built on the smaller Golf platform and is a fair bit lighter than the Passat which makes a big difference to urban economy.

I'll be changing Jobs soon which is the reason I changed from my V6 petrol to diesel. My new job is a 30 mile each way commute that is mainly motorway early in the morning. I've been up to my new job a couple of times and I've averaged 58 and 59mpg on the computer. The computer does seem quite accurate but I've only filled up a few times upto yet.
On my current 10 mile commute through two town centres and a A Road / B Road mix I'm getting high 40's but that's a 140 with DSG. I'd expect 50mpg is easily achievable from a 110CR Manual if you have a fair mix of driving.

My wife and I tried a new Octavia before we bought the Passat but we found the ride quality to be quite poor around town, very firm yet still too much roll in corners. (Elegance 2.0 DSG). Maybe a consequence of building a larger car on a smaller chassis and having large overhangs.

We also tried the new Mondeo which rides better yet handles and feels tighter than the Octavia and Passat. The Mondeo feels a massive car to drive though something the Passat does not. VW's deal beat Ford's hands down for me even though the highline is short of Toys.

Cheers
Lee

Phil_P
28-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Well, the Passat managed 52MPG on the first tank - didn't quite get to 800 miles, but 760 miles is not bad. She only took 66L to fill so wasn't quite empty although the range only showed 15 miles remaining.

The trip computer average reads a little high at 57.5mpg average for that tank.

borakev
29-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Only one minor niggle so far - the Octavia has great clips in the boot for hanging bags of shopping so they stay upright - those flash metal clips on the Passat are useless in comparison.

I thought the Passat came with a big plastic clip just under the boot opening top ( to the left) to hang your bags on. If yu don't have them it looks like VW took them off to save a few pennies. I believe you can buy them from VW and they aren't too expensive, the mounting threads should be there and I believe ther is mounting holes for oone on the right side.

I hope that is of some help.

cheers

Kev

logiclee
29-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I thought the Passat came with a big plastic clip just under the boot opening top ( to the left) to hang your bags on. If yu don't have them it looks like VW took them off to save a few pennies. I believe you can buy them from VW and they aren't too expensive, the mounting threads should be there and I believe ther is mounting holes for oone on the right side.

I hope that is of some help.

cheers

Kev

They are still fitted in the saloon version but Phil has an Estate so I'm not sure what the Estate version has fitted

Cheers
Lee

Phil_P
29-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Yes, my estate has two chrome metal clips, one either side, that fold up or down. They look more like lashing points but could double up as bag holders except they are useless for any bag with thicker handles - probably OK for plastic carrier bags but the Misses has these heavy Hessian "bag for life" type bags and the shopping ended up all round the boot at the first roundabout.

borakev
29-09-2010, 08:59 PM
They are still fitted in the saloon version but Phil has an Estate so I'm not sure what the Estate version has fitted

Cheers
Lee
I missed that vital part.

Cheers
Kev