PDA

View Full Version : Head or engine exchange

Tou-Andy
07-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi All

Can aynone advise on places (preferably South England) to get a new head for my golf 1.9 Diesel (AQM) 2001?
The old one is trashed over no.4 cylinder so would this count for exchange?

I also need a new no. 4 piston so would also consider full engine but these seem to be quite costly. Any pointers?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Crasher
07-08-2010, 04:12 PM
The AGP uses the same fully built up head as an AQM and as a bare head, it is the same as the AGP, ASV, AGR, ALH and AHF. When I need a new head for a diesel I tend to use brand new aftermarket castings and for this engine these are made by AMC (part number 908703) and Kolbenschmidt (part number 50003117). Of course you will need new lifters and probably two new valves plus an appropriate gasket set. Some companies provide these units fully built up and in my experience will take back your damaged head in exchange; you will have to shop around.

Where replacement pistons are concerned, I have no problem with using a set of aftermarket pistons but I have been in the same situation as you are with needing one piston and I found that the aftermarket part was over 10 grams lighter than the original and that would probably cause excessive imbalance problems, plus the aftermarket ones are not that much cheaper than genuine. I have found the genuine parts to be within 1 gram of the original, which is acceptable.