PDA

View Full Version : sports suspension

Shadow CC
04-08-2010, 07:34 PM
well being generally chuffed with the CC, I'm planning on swapping the wife's car for a Passat estate with the same 2.0 diesel 140 engine. So as I ponder a Sport or SEL option, I wondered if any CC driver has driven one and can compare the ride?

So is the CC's ride like the sports suspension equipped Passat Sport or closer to the other Passats without sports suspension?

Thanks for any thoughts oh wise forum members

Shadowy CC and possibly Anthracitey Passat

gamichea
05-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Within standard spec.the price list for the CC states "Sports suspension, lowered by approx.15mm. This is word for word the same as the description used in the price list for the 2006 Sport saloon in which I covered 47k. Whether there are any fundamental differences between saloon suspension and CC suspension I know not.

The one obvious difference is the Sport saloon ran on 17" 235/45 XL tyres whereas the CC runs on 18" 235/40 XL tyres, so less sidewall compliance on the CC.

I cannot make a direct comparison because my CC has DCC which I rarely set to "Normal" which I imagine equates to a non-DCC CC. However I would say the CC and Sport saloon ride and drive pretty much the same.

Before I decided on the Sport saloon I drove one back to back with an SE on standard suspension with 16" 205/55 tyres. The Sport was undoubtedly sharper to drive responding to steering input with greater alacrity than the SE and exhibiting less body roll while the SE had a softer ride as the trade off.

Sport and SEL are the ones to go for if you want CC-like levels of equipment. There are some SELs about with sports suspension and 17" wheels. I do not think you will find Sport or SEL with the CR engines found in the CC because those specs.were dropped from the saloon/estate range before the CR engines found their way into saloons & estates.

Some 2 litre diesels fitted to Sports (and SELs?) have been troublesome. Engine type BKP in particular IIRR. Its worth having a search around the B6 forum for some background info.

DSG4ME
05-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Thats all good advice, you may find a CR Sport, but it will be a 58 or 09, and even some of these are still PD's, tip is to look at the engine cover, if it's got straight manifold shapes it's a 140 PD, if it has some square shapes it's a 170 PD, and if it's a CR it will look like this / / / on the cover, slanting towards the O/S, hth.

gamichea
05-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Should have said CR engine codes (to be found on the sticker at the base of the passenger side B pillar) are CBAB (140) and CBBB(170) when fitted in the CC and may well be the same in the saloon estate. Other (non-UK spec.) 2 litre CR engines share the CB start for their engine codes.

johnloaderuk
05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I had a Passat Sport which is what to go for if you like to push on a bit now and then. Although the ride can be a bit firm at times, overall it suited my driving style, and was a perfect compromise all round.

Now have a Highline Plus, on the same size tyres and 17" wheel size as the Sport, and you really can't push on in this car at all. Without doubt it's set for comfort. If I hit a bump mid corner the whole back end often 'jumps' sideways which then upsets the whole car, never had this happen in the Sport. And you really can't gun it round rounabouts as the whole car doesn't stay as flat as the sport model does, often feeling like it'll break away at any moment.

You need to get a good test drive in one of each to see if it suits what you want it for, what type of roads you mainly drive on etc.
Personally I prefer the sport suspension, but I can see why someone else might prefer the softer setup.

I did test drive a CC, and from what I remember it felt much like the Sport, and very different to the softer Highline/SE models.

Go for the CR engine, whichever model you choose, although unlikely to find one in a SEL, maybe one in a last model Sport.

Shadow CC
06-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the many thoughts and suggestions. Nice to part of such a helpful corner of the forum. :D