PDA

View Full Version : Touran W button

geoff h
10-06-2007, 01:32 PM
I have just bought a new Touran 140dsg as I now live in France and
I am awating a english version of the Handbook
Most of the controls i understand but I have a button marked W just in front of the gear selector
Is this a winter heater or something else?

Many thanks

Geoff

VanWheeler
10-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Well my experiences of driving in france are all being cut up and flashed by BMW's. So I would Imagine the W stands for W***er mode. You press the button when you see a BMW coming your way and it automatically home in on them and drives over the top? LOL

Otherwise I've got no idea?

boomboomer
12-06-2007, 08:05 PM
The button just in front of the gearstick in my '06 touran is marked ESP and turns the combined stability/traction/abs system off.

If it's the same button then a yellow warning light, showing a car skidding, should appear on the dash.

What happens when you push it?

geoff h
13-06-2007, 05:03 AM
No in front of my gearstick I have the ESP button on the left and this button is on the right only the switch lights up when you push it
Is your's a DSG ?
The garage told me it was winter mode what ever that means I think something was lost in translation
Back in the UK this weekend maybe I will pop in to a dealer

thanks for the reply

Ray2912
16-06-2007, 12:52 AM
From the manual basically prevents wheel spin, probably good to turn on if you plan on racing somebody from standing!!!:D

boomboomer
17-06-2007, 09:15 AM
I thought that the ESP system reduced wheel spin anyway? Having said that I've managed to spin the wheels quite a lot in winter/mud inspite of it, so perhaps VW have had a rethink of the system.

Has anyone ever seen their ESP light on the dash illuminate when the system is operating? I know USA VW's do, from Fred's TDI forum, but although I've felt the car brake a wheel during slippery conditions, the light has never come on (except on starting the car).

Ray2912
17-06-2007, 11:02 AM
VW has also included a "winter driving programme" accessed by a button in front of the six-speed gearbox. Press this and electronics reduce power and throttle response, ideal for smooth getaways on icy roads, where the combination of supercharger and turbocharger can easily induce wheelspin prompting the traction control light to flash brightly.

From: http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/content/islington/gazette/Motors/story.aspx?brand=ISLGOnline&category=CarReviews&tBrand=islgonline&tCategory=CarReviews&itemid=WeED23%20Feb%202007%2014%3A34%3A46%3A910

Ray2912
17-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Another forum was asking - see theri response:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=2947825

Ray