PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change & Service

A1exp
30-07-2010, 03:19 PM
The car has just started moaning about having it's oil changed but i've still got 3.5k miles before it thinks it needs a service.

Previously I have had both done at the same time as they were only a few hundred miles different.

Can I just ignore the oil change moan until I get round to actually needing a service (around 2 months at my current mileage)?

Anybody else found this?

vwcabriolet1971
30-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Why not give the car a bit of TLC and do both at the earlier time ? Regular on the dot oil changes can extend the life of your engine.

A1exp
30-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I only had a service 6 months ago, I'm not made of money!!

tpl288
31-07-2010, 10:10 PM
I only had a service 6 months ago, I'm not made of money!!

Well if its costing too much to maintain the car, you should sell it and catch a bus instead! Duh!

mkc
08-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Probably not the sarcastic answer you were looking for. But seriously, do it when it asks for it. The oil level will probably drop and running your car with old oil will be more expensive to fix than an oil change.

Ive found with the cars Ive owned with these "conditional driving" services you do spend money more often but less of it. Id rather have a few hundred quid here and there than a massive service once a year. I did 14000 before my A4 wanted an oil service from new. I wouldnt risk doing another 3.5K with a warning telling you to change your oil.

The BMWs Ive had have the key fob that the service dept plugged in and Audi are the same I think. They'll tell you what you need and ask if you want to do it early instead of coming back in a few months. I actually find these newer cars cheaper to run and service than an older car that goes into a unknown garage and comes out with a huge bill at the other end. You have no idea if things really need replacing and take the mechanics word.

Other than that if you go into the Service Interval menu on the dash, scroll to the bottom and reset the oil change interval. That'll save you a few notes and make the message go until next time.