PDA

View Full Version : Bad flat spot 2.0pd tdi

Paschalc
29-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I have a problem with a bad flat spot on my 2004 Touran 2.0 PD TDI with DSG gearbox. The flat spot occurs around 1400 rpm and is there whether on the move or stopped in neutral. It will not hold revs at this rpm. It will either drop down to around 1100 or go up to around 1800. Unfortunately this is the point in the rev band when in city traffic the gearbox wants to go up a gear. Also when driving at around 30mph with revs at around 1400 the car constantly pulls back and chugs. This results in the car bogging down just when I need acceleration. Nothing shows up in diagnostics. My local main dealer failed to come up with a solution despite having the car several times over a 9 month period. (They are gone bust now). To me it sounds like something is giving an incorrect reading to the ECU but not throwing out an error code.
Has anyone else come across anything like this and if so is there a resolution?

martijn v o
30-07-2010, 04:04 PM
did the dealer also tried to load a software update?

Paschalc
30-07-2010, 09:24 PM
They attempted to update software and in the process rendered the ecu as usless. A new ecu was fitted but made no difference to flat spot.

martijn v o
31-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Find sombody with a laptop and program to log the car while driving.
I find it difficult to say, mostly the engine revs up if the temp sensor (coolant)gives invalid reading but this is when the engine is running on idle.
Yours is not on idle and going down as well.

Reading out is the best option otherwise we have to guess.

Paschalc
01-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Replaced temp sensor last month. I'll try to investigate on the move readings.

notty
01-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I have a 2007 Golf Plus with the same problem.Its a 2.0 PD TDI with DSG gearbox.4 visits to dealer and no fault showing on diagnostic computer.dealer rang vw and they said change the dsg box ! it must be a known problem cos even the dealer was shocked at vw's quick response. i haven't even given the dealer grief over the problem.hesitation sort of misfire between 1400-1600 most noticeable in 4th cos thats around 30mph.

Paschalc
02-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Did changing the box cure the problem?. My only doubt about it being a gearbox problem is that the flat spot is there when parked and box in neutral or Park. I also notice that the flat spotting seems worse on warmer days. The MAF meter was the first thing replaced (at least they told me the cahnged it) but made no difference.