PDA

View Full Version : Question Skoda Fabia or keep the Clio??

k3zzaroo
27-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Hi all,

I am currently driving an 03 Renault Clio Billabong (desperate times, desperate measures) it is the first time I have had a non German car in a few years after having to scrap my last car - a MK4 Golf 1.4 and before that I sold my MK4 Golf 1.9 TDI to my mum as I was moving abroad.
I am absolutely HATING the Clio and would love to get another Golf but they are just out of my price range (with only having the money that I will get from selling the Clio - hopefully to a bimbo with a rich dad!)
I am currently eyeing up an 04 Skoda Fabia 1.2 SE with 80,000 on the clock (the Clio has 76k) just not sure whether its worth the hassle of yet another car - the Clio is my 11th car (and Im only 25! What can I say? I get bored)

Any opinions/things to consider?

Thanks

ImCammers
28-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, Skoda's seem to still be carrying their old legacy within society today despite being owned by a company which is renown for their reliability. To own a Skoda prior to VW ever owning them was seen as a form of social death, you did not want to be seen owning/sitting/even getting out of a Skoda. In my honest opinion Skoda has always been seen as Volkswagen's 'Uncool' brother.The reality is that the cars are built just as well as VW's with a cheaper price tag. If you ever look around at Cabs a large majority, are Skoda Octavia's because they are that good, and fit for purpose.

The only thing you will soon to find out is, that German cars tend to handle quite well, but they are heavy. So i don't be expecting miracles from a Skoda 1.2. It will certainly be good on fuel, if that's what you're looking for, and they tend to be good cars if you have to commute long distances for work etc. Further more i see that you chose the 'SE' model, which as you may or may not be aware will be the one with alot of the optional extra's, and to be honest its the one you want!

Although if you're looking to sell the car after a year or so, then you will need to consider that Skoda's don't tend to hold their value as well as an Audi/VW and perhaps even a Seat. Basically because of the badge? Image is everything and people still bring the 'old rap' Skoda have into account when considering them?

I'm glad you have chose an 'SE' model, as with abit of luck it should have the optional extra's. As the 'S' models of VW's tend to be abit dull, and the 'E' models are even worse. I have a VW Golf 1.4 S, and to be fair the best thing about that is the fact it has electric windows? I was 17 when i got the car, and the reality was i wanted a 3DR Golf that badly, that i sacrificed all the creature comforts i could of had if i had indeed bought a Clio. I would also mention that the Clio you currently own has alot of the creature comforts, and to get the equivalent in a Skoda/Seat/VW/Audi it would certainly be alot more money, then a Clio.

Further more, i would consider when people may or may not ask you 'What car do you drive?' at the age of 25, do you really want to be saying 'I own a Skoda...' Saying that if you owned a Skoda from the VRS family then they went like S**t off a shovel!. As for the Fabia, just check when the cam belt was last done, prior to purchasing it if you finally wish to go ahead. You'd be surprised how much damage one belt can cause if things to go wrong.

After searching eBay, the only 2004 Skoda Fabia 1.2SE i found, had no electric windows? But it had most of the other creature comforts, alloys, alarm, air-con.

There are a few cars i would also look around for which may perk your interest:
- Seat Arosa (essentially a VW Lupo)
- Seat Ibiza (Same 1.2 Engine Block, perhaps?)
- VW Polo (Preferably an SE)
- Ford Focus (Common, yet reliable, furthermore with MOST of the extra's you want)

Let me know what you think.

VAGMAN54
28-07-2010, 08:02 PM
not the quickest of cars but engine is reliable,good mpg and will hold its value against another fabia all in all very good cars now...

k3zzaroo
29-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
All the points Cammers made are exactly all the things Im already considering - I do get lot more Clio for my cash but to be honest a Clio with ALL the bells and whistles still isnt a patch on a Golf or other German car.
I actually like the heaviness of of the German cars, means I feel a bit more secure when whipping around. My Clio handles like a shopping trolley on roller skates and Im sure its going to end up on its roof in a ditch!

As for the fact that its a 'dreaded' skoda (I know, I know - Im young but Ive heard all the 'What dya call a skoda at the top of a hill? A miracle!' jokes when the Skoda made a comeback) within my circle of friends me considering a Skoda is proving to be a lot more resepctable than keeping the beret-mobile!

I consider myself a well established petrol head and know more about cars than 'him indoors' but my doubt comes as Im not sure whether Im being a bit naiive - assuming that because the Fabia is 'pretty much' a Polo Im leading myself into a false sense of security??

Basically, I'll give you my criteria and you can see if Im being foolish....
I am looking for a 5 door car, that can easily do 150 miles a week, ideally it will have fancy gadgets but basically with a wedding in 2 weeks and a family being planned somewhere along the line all I really care about is reliability and safety, anything else is a bouns! And as my mum keeps reminding me - the more it has, the more there is to go wrong (which my last MK4 Golf S proved) the electric windows break...leaving you looking like a Wazok at the drive thru and the barrier into work, the air con needs topping up, the electric mirrors end up stuck in the position they are in etc etc all of which I really cant be bothered with! The only car that gets THAT amount of TLC from me is a classic Mini - I'll happily spend hours on a hard shoulder for one of those!
So the fact that Im looking at a Skoda SE is purely just because that just happened to be one that I found and liked - I didnt deliberately seek out the SE model.
I will look at the Seats, I have already looked at Polos which seem a bit more pricey and I think I'll leave the Focus ;)

ImCammers
29-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Sounds like you have abit of a rough time with your last MK4 Golf. But the thing i would consider is, that when you buy a Volkswagen you're buying a brand more then anything.

As for the statement your mum made, 'More to go wrong' well, like with ALL used cars they are always gonna have minor faults and there own little issues. As for the Skoda, jokes just tell them about the VRS models which i would imagine could run with the likes of Clio 172's.

zollaf
29-07-2010, 05:08 PM
a customer of mine runs an 02 fabia tdi. the poor thing gets a serious amount of abuse, is covered in dents, lives at the end of a mile of rutted track, is used as a work hack carrying things far too heavy, and often on the roof,and is also a family runabout. it gets a service every 10 k, and apart from the console bushes, nothing has fallen off it, apart from the sump after hitting a rock. theres no rust on it, despite the scrapes. the thing is built like a tank. forget the badge, a skoda is a wise mans ( or ladies ) car. its also lovely to drive.

k3zzaroo
02-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Just to let you know I am setting off to Manchester to do a straight swap, my Clio for a "W reg Fabia 1.4 Comfort (AC) 53,000 miles,6 Months MOT & Tax, Silver, Petrol, Manual, Steel wheels, Air Con, Remote Central Locking"
Tell me now if you think Im making a mahooosive mistake?....

ImCammers
02-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Just to let you know I am setting off to Manchester to do a straight swap, my Clio for a "W reg Fabia 1.4 Comfort (AC) 53,000 miles,6 Months MOT & Tax, Silver, Petrol, Manual, Steel wheels, Air Con, Remote Central Locking"
Tell me now if you think Im making a mahooosive mistake?....

Well, just remember a Fabia is not a Golf, so it's difficult to compare. The Fabia, in VW Equivalent would be a Polo? I don't think the Fabia would drive anything like a Golf, since they are built for arguably different markets? I don't know, i think it's a difficult choice, because the 'Skoda' is kinda half way between a 'Clio' and a 'Golf' on a scale and i think its difficult to compromise.

As much as i like German cars, i would stick with a Clio, over owning a Skoda, mostly because the social stigma still exists. Further more the body panels on a Clio happen to be quite cheap and common if some dosey Muppet happens to clip your car with a shopping trolley.

k3zzaroo
02-08-2010, 01:07 PM
As much as i like German cars, i would stick with a Clio, over owning a Skoda, mostly because the social stigma still exists. Further more the body panels on a Clio happen to be quite cheap and common if some dosey Muppet happens to clip your car with a shopping trolley.[/QUOTE]

Not meaning to ask an opinion then be totally defiant, I think I will go and test drive the Fabia - I am expecting more Polo than Golf but at least it will be German. I dont mind about the social thing, and to be fair Im not too fussed about body panels - unless there was a major disaster I dont care about a few dings here and there. As much as I LOVE my cars, as long as it gets me around...reliably and safely - which I dont feel the Clio does, Im happy! More just wanting to know if there is anything major I should look out for?

ImCammers
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
As much as i like German cars, i would stick with a Clio, over owning a Skoda, mostly because the social stigma still exists. Further more the body panels on a Clio happen to be quite cheap and common if some dosey Muppet happens to clip your car with a shopping trolley.

Not meaning to ask an opinion then be totally defiant, I think I will go and test drive the Fabia - I am expecting more Polo than Golf but at least it will be German. I dont mind about the social thing, and to be fair Im not too fussed about body panels - unless there was a major disaster I dont care about a few dings here and there. As much as I LOVE my cars, as long as it gets me around...reliably and safely - which I dont feel the Clio does, Im happy! More just wanting to know if there is anything major I should look out for?[/QUOTE]

I don't know alot about Fabia's, But take a look on here under the Skoda section and see if there are any faults or topics which appear several times, reporting a similar fault. Do let us know how you get on with the Fabia if you do decide to get it.

macmillions
02-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi.

I thought I would add my 10 pence worth.

I actually own a 2002 1.2 Clio Extreme (the predecessor to the Billabong I believe). Mine has done 101,000 miles. But not without its faults.

I personally think it is one of the most fun little cars to own. Great fun in the bends, really chuckable, pretty nippy and very economical (I can get 52mpg on a 70mph run).

However, at around 50k miles, and a month out of warranty mine decided to eat the engine wiring loom, which cost me £411 to fix. And according to Renault, this is a common fault on this engine, where a plastic cap vibrates and chafes the loom over time, and before you know it your in limp mode and lumbered with a huge bill.

Next over a couple of months, I had a series of sensor faults costing a fair few hundred to diagnose and fix (3 different ones in total - Camshaft sensor, throttle sensor and MAF sensor.) These again throw up a warning light and send you into limp mode.

Next I had a sticking relay which caused intermittent starting issues. After replacing my coil pack (another common failure) and 2 weeks off the road in the Renault garage, it was diagosed to be a sticky relay about the size of a pencil sharpener! (Many hundreds of £££ to diagnose and fix).

My sister's Clio (exactly the same as mine - rolled off the production line straight after mine) suffered ECU failure, costing £750 to replace. But, on the upside, her car had not had a service since new! :aargh4::aargh4::aargh4: But nothing mechanical had gone wrong, even after 50,000 miles!

The issue is, when you get an electrical fault, the diagnosis equipment sends you off in tangents to what the fault actually is, thus taking longer to diagnose the fault than it should.

I have only had to replace discs and pads and a pair of springs, so mechanically they seem very sound. But they are a money pit if you suffer any electrical problems.

The thing is, if my Clio did suddenly blow up, and I only had £1500 to spend on a new, equivalent car, I would not hesitate in getting another!

Hope this helps... Which it probably doesn't! :biglaugh:

k3zzaroo
03-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Well Mac, you are one dedicated Clio lover!

All i can say about my decision....I very much enjoyed my drive to work this morning! :approve:

Eshrules
03-08-2010, 09:48 AM
As much as i like German cars, i would stick with a Clio, over owning a Skoda, mostly because the social stigma still exists..

I've only just seen this thread and I have to say the above is absolute fertiliser 'imho'. This 'socail stigma' that people are so fondly attached to, no longer exists.

If you like the fabia, go get it.

If I had free reign over the VAG range, I'd be opting for an Octavia Vrs.

and if ever proof were needed, who better to comment than good old JC :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article1137479.ece

I love being working class :approve:

k3zzaroo
03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
ESH you are rapidly becoming my new best friend!

:D

macmillions
03-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Good news. Glad you're enjoying your new motor!
I'm sure the quality is a vast improvement over the Clio and to be honest, my next car is looking more and more likely to be a Skoda (Octavia). And I'm a 23yr old male. So if thats not "hip", then :booty:

k3zzaroo
03-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Good news. Glad you're enjoying your new motor!
I'm sure the quality is a vast improvement over the Clio and to be honest, my next car is looking more and more likely to be a Skoda (Octavia). And I'm a 23yr old male. So if thats not "hip", then :booty:

Haha! I think us young 'uns need to show the biddies how its done!! Thats now me at 25 with a Fabia, my fella at 24 with a Honda Jazz (that I have lovingly called Ethel) and you potentially with an Octavia!

:You_Rock_ is what our friends will say as we load up the shopping from the garden centre! Hehe

macmillions
04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Haha, so true! Is it sad that I also like gardening?

At least my significant other keeps us "kids" in check. She drives the Mk2 Golf! :approve:

ImCammers
04-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Haha, so true! Is it sad that I also like gardening?

At least my significant other keeps us "kids" in check. She drives the Mk2 Golf! :approve:

Well, every hatchback built today arguably owes it's self to the breed of 'Golfs'. Octavia's are merely cheaper version of the Passat?

zollaf
24-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I've only just seen this thread and I have to say the above is absolute fertiliser 'imho'. This 'socail stigma' that people are so fondly attached to, no longer exists.

If you like the fabia, go get it.

If I had free reign over the VAG range, I'd be opting for an Octavia Vrs.

and if ever proof were needed, who better to comment than good old JC :

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article1137479.ece

I love being working class :approve:
the thing is, skoda's have always been good cars. the old estelle range, laughed at by so many, but only those that didnt own one, were actually solid well built cars. beetle gearbox, porsche 4 pot brakes etc etc..... what did they do to enter the lombard rac rally ? fit a rollcage. they were miles ahead of the competition (lada, fso etc... )
the modern ones though, since being taken over by vag, are awesome cars. the social stigma makes me laugh though. people that laugh at them have never driven one, and usually drive some other heap of manure. they are the thinking persons car.