PDA

View Full Version : Could a spring have broken?

CJ_SX
27-07-2010, 08:00 PM
About two miles from home this evening was driving along a flat well surfaced main road when it felt like something hit the underside of the car. Had the radio on at the time so didn't get to hear it clearly, but there was definitely a bit of a knock on the underside and a sound. Didn't notice anything on the road beforehand.

Shortly afterwards I started hearing a very quiet creaking sound from my front left (sure it wasn't there before - could be my imagination of course).

Had a look when I got home but could see nothing obvious. From experience however (see below) it could be the very end of the spring I suppose hidden by the 'boot' at the bottom (sorry, don't know the correct phrase).

Has anyone had problems with springs on MK6's yet? The reason it jumps to mind is that I had several problems with springs on my previous Polo and had to have them all replaced at about 52000 miles due to breakages. My Mk6 however has only done 2500 miles.

kamikaze06
27-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I had a similar experience and thought that something had gone wrong, as I never saw anything on the road. A day later I was driving along the same road and noticed part of a number plate lying on the tarmac, and it was obvious that this is what I had kicked up and made the noise on the car. A mechanic should be able to tell you in a couple of minutes if a spring has gone, by pushing down on the wing and seeing how quickly the suspension bounces back, if you are not sure yourself. I should imagine if you take it back to the dealer where you purchased it, if that is near, they should be decent enough to check if for you 'gratis, as it would not take lone. I know my dealer is very good and has done a couple of small checks for me and have sent me on my way with a cheery wave.

CJ_SX
27-07-2010, 11:33 PM
My paranoia obviously got the better of me.

After posting earlier I went outside and jacked the car up to inspect the front springs - they were both fine from top to bottom. I then took it for a spin and determined that the 'creaking' was from the passenger door area, not the wheel. After closer inspection it turns out the seatbelt height adjuster hadn't been clicked into position :Blush2:

Thinking about it, the underfloor impact was under the drivers side, so it couldn't have been the nearside spring anyway. So I guess I just hit something metal lying on the road.

Apologies for wasting anyones time! :outtahere:

kamikaze06
28-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Glad it was good news. Your smile must have been as wide as the window screen