PDA

View Full Version : interior light

series111
23-07-2010, 08:13 PM
:confused:hi

I have just purchased an 2003 19 tdi and am have problems with the interior light sending me morse code signals.
when I am driving with the doors and boot shut properly the interior light keeps flashing on and off when the centre rocker switch is set in the middle position.
I how someone has some ideas:beerchug:

burkey1
24-07-2010, 12:22 PM
I would check the light switch itself first, before I go looking for a fault with one of the door switches..

Sounds like it could be the contacts touching for the light always on.

barachello
31-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Mine does exactly the same

Anyone have any info ?

rogs
01-08-2010, 03:25 PM
mine is doing this and im getting a click from a relay aswell which is behind the dash on the drivers side, also when i set the alarm it keeps sounding after 30 secs or so.
Anybody know where the comfort control module is on this particular model its a 2002 a3 8L

marc464
01-08-2010, 04:06 PM
hi mine does the same and it seems to be the passanger door if i open and close it again it stops doing it

barachello
01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/audi-a3-s3-cabrio/43024-door-sensor.html

rogs
02-08-2010, 12:04 AM
yes forgot to mention that mine seemed to clear when i opened and closed the passenger door, however looking at it today the light started to flash and then i tried the drivers door and boot and the flashing fault came and went several times and i didnt open the passenger door at all.
I would of thought that if the passenger door switch was faulty (stuck on) the light would be permanently on not flashing.
When the light is flashing and i open either door the light stays on (not flashing), close the door and it flashes again, so it seems to me the switch is changing state from open to closed and therefore working?
Ive found the light relay under the dash which is clicking on and off and it has electronics in it (not a basic relay as normal) so im probably going to try a new one of these and see what happens, hope its not to expensive!

Read that link above and they seem to be saying that the light and dash display is just stuck on and not flashing like ours.

barachello
02-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I was wondering if the 2 could have been linked in some way just ..........

series111
02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Hi

:o Just had a good look at mine again and what is happening is that as above the interior lights flash on and off while driving I can here a cliicking behind the dash (relay) as the lights flash,if i try and arm the locks the doors lock but the interior lights carry on flashing and when the system has armed ( After 30 seconds)The alarm goes off.

In the bottom off the doors I Have a white light and in the side off the doors i have a red light ( marker lights when doors are open)
I have noticed that the lights on the passenger front door DO NOT allways go off even though the dash says that the door is shut ( picture of car goes out as it shoud)

When these lights are on this is when i have the problem,when these lights go out it all works fine.
So would this be a problem with the door lock (mirco Switch ) or the relay
behind the dash or some thing else. :beerchug:
I hope between us we can sort this problem out.

rogs
02-08-2010, 11:13 PM
i havent noticed if the light in the bottom of the door had stayed on when my centre overhead lights are flashing but i have ordered the relay today as it was only £21.60inc vat and it should arrive wednesday, hopefully it will fix it but if not at least then we can rule that out. If it doesnt fix it i will have to find which wires go to the door switch and see if its operating properly or sticking.
Another thing i noticed was on sunday i locked the car and after the usual 30 secs the alarm went off so i left it going off every minute or so and after about 10 mins it stopped and the light had also stopped flashing, nothing had been touched, no doors opened, so maybe the alarm will ignore a trigger after so many times. It seems like the alarm, c/locking control, c/locking pump and possibly some control of the interior lights are all in one unit which is located in the boot left side near the sub, fingers crossed its not that because that sounds expensive.
The relay ive ordered is called the entry light control relay part number 4d0 907 131 i will let you know what happens when it arrives.

series111
03-08-2010, 07:18 PM
thanks for that i will await your reply,just to let you know we used the car today but didnot open passenger door and everything worked o.k, no flashing lights or alarms going off.:beerchug:

rogs
07-08-2010, 11:22 PM
bad news im afraid, fitted the new relay and it is still playing up, does anyone know if these cars have a comfort convenience module and where it might be located?

marc464
15-08-2010, 02:07 AM
mine does exactly the same when it plays up the passanger door marker lights stay on open the door and slam it it seems to sort the problem untill its next opened any way it seems on mine its defanitly something linked to the passanger door

rogs
15-08-2010, 02:44 PM
ive been using the car for the past week or so without touching the passenger door to see if it played up and it didnt, so today i started using the passenger door again and its started playing up so it must be something to do with that door or that doors input to the control unit, i would of thought that if the switch was sticking it would say passenger door open on the dashboard info display but it isnt, also when it is flashing the interior light it is also flashing the passenger door puddle lamp but not the drivers side puddle lamp. im going to take the door panel off to see whats going on when i get chance.

rogs
15-08-2010, 11:42 PM
managed to take the passenger door apart today and take the switch out and it has 2 micro switchs built into the one switch which may explain why it can be playing up but also changes the state of the light when the door opens.
you can activate each switch seperatley with a small screwdriver so when i tried them one was making the interior light and dash info display come on and the other didnt seem to do anything but its possible this one is the problem.
Once i had got to the plug/connections on the switch and distured them the car seemed to behave so may just be bad connection but im going to see if i can get a new switch while its all apart and take it from there.

series111
17-08-2010, 07:37 PM
:approve:glad to here that you may be getting to the answer,I hope that you have found the problem, when you do get it solved please can you let me know what parts you replaced and what suppliers you got them from:beerchug:

mangelwurzel
23-08-2010, 11:05 PM
I've got the exact same problem as you guys. My passenger door has a slight rattle when I close it so it sounds like something is a bit loose. Your definitely on to something. Let us hear how you get on with the door micro switch. Cheers.

series111
28-08-2010, 04:55 PM
have taken the door apart today and sprayed the door lock with switch cleaner to see if that makes any differance, (here's hoping) if that does not work then it will be off to Audi to buy a new lock next week. I will keep you all posted as to what happens.

rogs
05-09-2010, 11:37 PM
i disconnected my passenger door switch and slid it out of the locking mech so i could use the car for a week or two and see what happens and there was no problems with flashing interior light or alarm etc.
looking at the switch you can see it is made up of 2 microswitchs both of which gave a positive click when i activated them seperatley with a screwdriver, so ive cleaned the connections, put it back in and reconnected it to see what happens, unfortunatley the switch is not available seperatley so you have to buy a new lock mech which is about £70 so im hoping its just a bad connection and the switch seems a good quality, will let you know how i get on.
Also the door wiring loom comes into the car behind the left side kick panel and connects to about 4 multiplugs so i wiggled these also which if it turns out to be fixed could of been the point of the bad connection.

rogs
05-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Mangelwerzel, my door had a slight rattle but not all the time and it turned out to be the bolt that you can see on the door edge as soon as you open the door, i think its quite low down and you dont need to take off the interior door panel to see it, mine was so loose that the washer was doing the rattling.

series111
07-09-2010, 07:29 PM
:DI have now taken mine apart twice and gave the whole lock a good spary with wd40 and switch cleaner, and for the last ten days of use I have had no problems the lights have been going off and the alarm working as they should. I will keep an eye on it but hopfully i have solved the problem.:beerchug:

mangelwurzel
07-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Cheers Rogs. I had a quick look today and there is a loose bolt right where you say. Not had a chance for a proper look but it might have corroded free. Cheers.

rogs
13-09-2010, 12:12 AM
quick update, ive not used the car much, but so far its not played up at all, so fingers crossed its sorted and most likely a bad connection on the plug that goes onto the switch.
Mangelwurzel that bolt should just tighten up if you get a spanner on it.