PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt

genix
23-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I suppose many Golf Plus cars have now passed their 4th anniversary, when a cambelt change is usually recommended by VW dealers.

I have just been quoted £435 for my 55 plate 2.0 TDI (includes cambelt kit, water pump, coolant and labour), and I was wondering what were your experiences on this front.

Is this really a must (i.e. has anybody had a cambelt snapped -what are the consequences and costs involved) or just a scare meant to draw customers to VW garages?

Have you had better quotes?

Thanks and regards,

alibaly
20-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I would be interested to know this too as My Golf plus1.9tdi is 4 and a half years old now and only done 39000 miles. it is a lot of money on top of a service especially after the ESP unit went earlier this year.
Seems to be an expensive car to own.

Eshrules
20-10-2010, 09:10 PM
replace the cambelt, or replace (potentially) the engine when it snaps.

I know which I'd rather go for.

zollaf
20-10-2010, 09:12 PM
a snapped cambelt will stop the vehicle instantly. it wont matter if you are in your driveway or the outside lane of a motorway, it will stop instantly. the pistons and valves will hit eachother with considerable force, resulting in the valves bending. it will then be necessary to remove the cylinder head to replace the bent valves and any broken guides. to do this the injectors have to be removed, along with the cam and injector rocker, and the bolts holding these must be replaced, as well as the injector seals. the head then needs rebuilding and refitting, with a new head gasket and head set. the cost to do this will be about £1000, if done on the cheap. it may be necessary to fit a new head though, depending on the damage and these are a lot of money. you then need a new cambelt and water pump fitted anyway, along with new antifreeze. if you are a member of a brake down club, then they will recover you, if not you will have to pay for recovery, and not get to where you were going. so add it all up and its going to be a couple of grand.
its your car, so its your call.

bmcqueen
21-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm interested in the cambelt discussion as I have a 5 year old Golf Plus. I dont think it has had its cambelt changed yet. I've only had this vehicle for a few months.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to why there is a time limit placed on the cambelt. Is it because the rubber loses its elasticity over time or some other reason?

I read many places advising changing after 60K miles which is more of a wear related service than an age related one.

Also any idea what the average price is for having the cambelt replaced at a volkswagen dealer vs a non volkswagen dealer?

Eshrules
21-10-2010, 11:48 AM
forgive my shortness - but we have a search function at the top of the screen, you might want to use it - this subject's been done to death.

genix
21-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Does anyone have any knowledge as to why there is a time limit placed on the cambelt. Is it because the rubber loses its elasticity over time or some other reason?

I read many places advising changing after 60K miles which is more of a wear related service than an age related one.

It is a fact that tensile properties of elastic materials do change slightly with age, though in general much less than with wear.
However, I have not read anywhere about a time limit of 4/5 years imposed/recommended by a manufacturer - if anyone found otherwise please do correct me.

Also any idea what the average price is for having the cambelt replaced at a volkswagen dealer vs a non volkswagen dealer?

Around £350 from an independent garage.

Frelon
21-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I have my four year old Golf Plus TDi going into the garage (French VAG dealer) in next couple of weeks. I tried to book a cam belt change but they said that with just 35,000 miles it should not need doing before next year.

Fingers crossed!

Issac Hunt
21-10-2010, 07:26 PM
I have my four year old Golf Plus TDi going into the garage (French VAG dealer) in next couple of weeks. I tried to book a cam belt change but they said that with just 35,000 miles it should not need doing before next year.

Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed that it doesnt snap in the next 12 months........

zollaf
21-10-2010, 11:26 PM
pretty well all manufacturers recommend a time or distance interval. they vary considerably, but most are around 5 years. ford duratorque and certain peugeot hdi's are 10 years or 120k, but these are exceptions to the rule. yes, it may last a lot longer, and indeed, the best time to change it is the day before it snaps. i have changed many belts that appear to be servicable and may well have many miles left in them. now, take a look at tyres. these are roughly the same as timing belts in that they are reinforced rubber. tyres perish over time and most manufacturers recommend they are replaced after 5 years, which is why all tyres are date stamped. you may think this is just to increase sales, the same as antifreeze being changed, or brake fluid, but the truth is that its not. these recommendations are there for the well being of the car and the safety of the driver and those around. once a car is sold, it is up to the owner whether or not they follow these servicing recommendations or not. follow them and the car should last a long time. some owners choose not to, thinking they know best and can save a few bob by leaving the brake fluid unchanged for 10 years, but then moan when they need new calipers, or the brakes fade out due to the fluid boiling, or the 6 year old cambelt fails with only 47,871 miles on the clock.
but then thats life.

thorne
22-02-2012, 07:39 PM
I usually book my service + cam belt together. VW garage give me some discount because engine covers etc are already off and access is already clear. I also get all my, my wifes & my daughters servicing done there so I guess that makes me a "valued" customer (I prefer "customer with benefits).

tompointer
19-12-2012, 10:58 PM
I Find it interesting Vw recommend 4yrs 60k, Audi state 5 yrs 75k miles, both vehicle 1.9 tdi 105 ???.