PDA

View Full Version : Leaking coolant?!?

AudiTsport99
23-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Hi,

I've got a 2004 Audi A3 TDi Sport and for the last month or two I've noticed that the coolant warning keeps coming on. Every time I refill the coolant the light comes on again a couple of weeks later, so I'm assuming I have a leak somewhere.

I have looked EVERYWHERE for this leak but can't find it, I've even tried putting a drip tray under the coolant bowl but still nothing. Is this a common fault on Audi's?

PLEASE could somebody help!?!

Regards
Olly

Crasher
23-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Is it a 2 litre 16v with the BKD engine? Does it start cleanly in the morning or can it sound a lie off for a moment or two?

AudiTsport99
23-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Is it a 2 litre 16v with the BKD engine? Does it start cleanly in the morning or can it sound a lie off for a moment or two?

Yes, it is the 2 litre 16v with the BKD engine. It starts perfectly well every time (even in the morning), no problems or sounds whatsoever.

Crasher
23-07-2010, 11:38 AM
The reason I ask is that early BKD engines (which yours is) have a nasty habit of developing porosity problems in the head. They also suffer from EGR cooler leaks but both these normally cause obvious problems such as poor starting and steam from the exhaust respectively.

Mike Foster
23-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Have a look at my reply to your same post on Audi-Sport.net

jonathanfenton
25-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Have a look at my reply to your same post on Audi-Sport.net

Booooo lol paste it on here so i can carry on being nosey :-)

Mike Foster
25-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Oh - alright then !!! Here goes :-

Try a bottle of K-Seal which costs a tenner from most auto places. You just pour it into the top-up reservoir and it finds leaks and fixes them.

I emailed Kalimex that makes the product and they said quote " it will be perfectly safe to use K-Seal in your engine and there is a high probability that it will fix the porous head problem " unquote.

I shoved a bottle in 6 months ago in my 2005 BKD engine and haven't topped up since then !

Worth a try for a tenner - hope it works

Cheers :beerchug: