PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch not compatible?

christine smith
22-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Help - I'm a newbie and searched the site for other user issues but can't see anything exactly like my issue.

Golf GTD, 59 plate 2.0lt with RCD310, MF steering & MDI.

The RCD310 doesn't recognise my iPod touch (latest operating system) when plugged in via MDI cable. Tried connecting, reconnecting, rebooting and nothing works. When pressing the media button it says not compatible.

I have another issue with the radio that it keeps (intermittently) switching itself off for no reason, engine on or off.

Could the two issues be linked or can anyone help with the iPod issue?

P.S. My Sony Ericsson X10i Android phone doesn't work with the bluetooth either - so I'm not a very happy bunny!:zx11:

Please say I'm not the only person experiencing this!!!

p3asa
22-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Did you upgrade the Touch to V4 by any chance?
When I upgraded mine the headunit RNS510 didn't see it at first and it took a few attempts of unplugging / plugging back in before it recognised it.

Are you using the ipod cable as opposed to the USB cable? You should have received 2 different cables. The ipod will only work with the specific ipod cable.

I'm sure I read on here or it may have been http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/32206.aspx about someone else having the problem of their RCD310 turning off.

It should be the bottom cable you are using
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad28/p3asa1/IMG_3530.jpg

christine smith
22-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks - the olther site looks useful for my radio issue - sounds like I may have a faulty one.

The IPod Touch was brand new and never got it working in the car yet! I'll dig out all the cables tonight and prize the iPod out of the clutches of my teenager to test it...so much for buying myself a present!

I'll keep trying. Many thanks

percymon
22-07-2010, 01:52 PM
When you connect the ipod do you get a message on the ipod itself about connecting to a non apple external device ? I would expect you to get this message if the ipod and RCD310 are talking to each other. The messgae is only apple protecting themselves from liability, so you should accept the message.

I've upgraded my iphone to IOS4 software and it still working fine with my RCD310 as it did on the old IOS3 ?? software.

johnnny
23-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi christine
i have expreienced this fault when i updated my ipod touch to the latest software and found that it stopped working. But would like to know a way of fixing it.

p3asa
23-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Since I upgraded the Touch to V4 it has been excruciatingly slow to use. I'm talking 4 or 5 seconds between touching the screen and a response. Sometimes the screen doesn't even populate correctly!!

Keithuk
25-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't have an iPod but this link Volkswagen Media Device Interface (MDI) Specifications (http://www.my-gti.com/443/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-specifications) may give some additional info.

This Australian site has loads of Golf mods and tips if you browse through the categories on the left. ;)

p3asa
25-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Had my car in for service the other day and VW acknowledged there was a problem with ipods but it wasn't to do with not recognising them but the fact some of them have problems with the MDI. The display doesn't change even although the song changes sometimes while using the Nano and some ipods have a stutter / mute / distortion whatever you want to call it while the tracks are changing.

Although VW have acknowledged the problem ad are reported to be working on it, I wouldn't hold my breath as they can always just blame Apple.

benzo_26
25-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I have had several issues with my radio and connecting my touch to it, v tempremental. I will saythat V 4.0 firmware update has raised a few grumbles for other non car related issues so maybe it is an issue frm Apple's side. Rather useless post from me doesnt really help lol.