PDA

View Full Version : Golf 1.9 GTTDi losing water

richiek
08-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi all

I have a MK4 GTTDi 115 which is a fantastic car. Recently I started getting a warning message about once a week - 2 weeks telling me to check coolant level. When I make the check the coolant has dropped just below the minimum level line but there is no signs of a leak anywhere. There is no sign of water in the oil but the early indications point to the head gasket as even after just a short run the cooling system starts to pressurise and the hoses get quite hard. The temp gauge stays sat on the 90 mark as normal and the car still drives fine. I've been told that's it's very rare that a head gasket goes on one of these models but it's the only thing I can put it down to. I'm getting married in 7 weeks so don't really want the expense of getting it repaired at the moment. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or if it is the HG is there anything I can do to temporarily sort out the problem until after my wedding? Many thanks.

v6dub
08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Well have a look under the oil filler cap if there is a yellowish kind of gunk then there is water getting into the oil if not the head is ok. if you where lossing that amount of water in the oil i would expect you to have more problems. you might just have a very small split in a hose that is where the water is going.

richiek
09-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply. One of the first things i checked was the oil cap and the dipstick for signs of gunk but there isn't any. I've also checked all the hoses and there is no obvious sign of a leak. However I believe the water could also escape in the other direction and out through the exhaust in a leaky HG. Maybe someone will correct me on that one? Like I said before, the system is pressurising after a short run and the hoses hardening up which is also an indicator of a HG fault.

Big_E
09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Is the exhaust smoking at all, with a white/blue colour smoke ?

May be worth getting a new gasket and skimming the head it's self.

richiek
09-06-2007, 10:53 PM
No it's not smoking at all. I want to put of the expense of doing the head gasket till after my wedding at the end of next month! Thanks for the advice.

Big_E
09-06-2007, 11:10 PM
My advice is don't risk it mate, get someone to check it over. If for what ever reason it IS the H/G, and that goes, it could lead to bent valves etc, which is much more expensive than getting it repaired before it goes.

Hope all is well, and good luck on the Marridge, you'll need it.

richiek
10-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Cheers mate!