PDA

View Full Version : Vw Warranty Mileage limit on Trim Faults

dataconn
21-07-2010, 02:40 PM
cats.

Foxtrot Oscar
21-07-2010, 03:08 PM
It does help as my local dealer told me that my rattling RMP gauge chrome surround wouldn't have beeen covered past one year.

Thanks for the info. However I'll read my manual to check anyway.

By the way, I also get points two and three on your list above.

bakwa1
21-07-2010, 03:57 PM
As regards the creeking sounds and ticking sounds.
I was experiencing the same with my car after a few months, I thought it was the chassis or suspension, but noticed it did not do it when the doors were open when I was trying to find the creek.
So I sprayed all the door locks and hinges and behind the trim that is on the outside of doors that tick when in the sun with 3 in 1 White Lithium Grease. Problem 100% solved, nice a quiet again.

The front windscreen on the GT is a lighter tint than the other windows and no tint at the top. I have check loads of other.

Hughesynights
21-07-2010, 07:35 PM
- I am unable to make a GPRS connection via the Bluetooth kit even though the manual and the car itself suggests that I should be able to

I think what it means is that the bluetooth connection will not prevent your phone from making a GPRS connection.
Why would the car need a data connection? What do you expect this feature to achieve?

On the other points, it sounds like you bought a Lexus, not a VW!
I have to wait and see on that though.

Keithuk
21-07-2010, 09:26 PM
- Tint on Front Windscreen to be checked – it seems slightly less tinted than the front windows and would have expected it to be the same (and possibly missing blue tint from top of windscreen) - Can other GT drivers comment?

Well the front windows aren't tinted as standard (apart from the GTI) so I don't know how your front windows have more tint than the windscreen? I don't think the top of the windscreen has a blue tint, well mine doesn't.

The spec says for the GT

Rear tinted windows from B pillar back. ;)

percymon
22-07-2010, 07:25 AM
All windows are tinted on all models, with an option of darker sun protection glass from the b pillars back (std on GT). Not sure about gti/gtd.

p3asa
22-07-2010, 10:26 AM
The ticking seems to be a common problem according to various forums. It is infuriating when it happens. However mine just stopped of its own accord. I don't know if the material had expanded / contracted that much that it now has more give in it.

I took my car in for its service the other day and mentioned that the plastic headlight support was cracked. I was told these kind of warranties are only covered up to 6 month!!

HHGTTG
22-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I can get an annoying rattle or buzz from my driver's sun visor depending on which positon it is in but can stop it, in its tracks by playing with the position of the vanity mirror's cover. I shouldn't have to do this and having done all the investigative work for them, I told the garage last week, when booking the car in for its first service, that I would like a new visor fitted under warranty.
As expected and knowing how dismissive/disinterested VW dealers are, they said that they would have to reproduce the fault for themselves before they could sanction a new visor. Well I know that they would have to drive the car at speeds and on road surfaces that just isn't practical for garage staff to do with their time limitations and the road available to them in the crowded London suburbs.
Having been told this, I asked them to get me a price for a new visor and I would buy it myself (probably). They presented me with sheet of paper on which the EKTA price was ca. £67.

percymon
22-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Not had any issues with any of my trim rattles/issues..

yesterday car went back in for..

new door seal on drivers door - to stop whistling noise above 50mph
new front passenger air vent, connecting hose and foam tape added to A pillar/dash area - to stop creaking noise form that area

never any issue, perhaps they were lucky to reproduce the faults when they had the car for service 2 weeks earlier. So far, so good.

Re the sun visor i'd be tempted to just put a very small amount of vaseline or silicon grease inside the sliding cover outboard of the edge of the mirror

HHGTTG
22-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Not had any issues with any of my trim rattles/issues..

yesterday car went back in for..

new door seal on drivers door - to stop whistling noise above 50mph
new front passenger air vent, connecting hose and foam tape added to A pillar/dash area - to stop creaking noise form that area

never any issue, perhaps they were lucky to reproduce the faults when they had the car for service 2 weeks earlier. So far, so good.

Re the sun visor i'd be tempted to just put a very small amount of vaseline or silicon grease inside the sliding cover outboard of the edge of the mirror
I don't see how the application of a grease will affect something that is loose inside. But thanks for your interest and suggestion.
When I can be in a situation to reproduce or get the noise to occur, it is interesting to note that opening and shutting the driver's door fairly hard (not a thing I would normally do) you can hear the rattle in the visor above your head. If you then slide the cover to expose the mirror, to the point where the light comes on, then the noise or rattle is eliminated no matter how hard you slam the door.

Keithuk
22-07-2010, 12:03 PM
All windows are tinted on all models, with an option of darker sun protection glass from the b pillars back (std on GT). Not sure about gti/gtd.

Are they? Well you learn something everyday. It says

Heat insulating rear tinted windows

from the B pillar back are 65% light absorbing, and helps reduce exposure to the sun’s rays whilst giving your Golf a sporty look. Standard on GT, GTD, GTI and R and optional on all other models.

But I still think the front glass has no tint at all. The 'S' has green tinted glass.

The brochure you can download from VW (https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/order-a-brochure) doesn't detail this feature or show it. Its only the pricelist that states what I said before. ;)

percymon
22-07-2010, 01:48 PM
If the rattle is related to a clearance issue betweent he housing and the sliding cover then grease may help bridge the gap or dampen the vibration. As there is change in performance at the point where the light comes on i'm guessign the vibration is either from a loose microswitch or from the clearance of the switch to the cover when in the closed position.