PDA

View Full Version : How many miles on a set of tyres?

plumb bob
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Hi all, just curious really, as my LT35 came new with Bridgestones on, I have now done 40,000 miles on the original tyres ( rears are low, fronts have at least 10k left) and I have never changed the brake pads yet, is this normal??

Well, had a few views but no replies, guess nobody cares.
Anyway, update; replaced one rear tyre for new Bridgestone, and used the spare ( never been out of the cradle) on the other side, and replaced the spare with the best of the worn tyres.

Tyre fitter said he'd never known anybody to get 40k from a set of tyres on this type of vehicle, constantly loaded to about 3/4 tonne.

Still running on the original front tyres, I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone is interested, that is!

plumb bob
15-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Hi all, just curious really, as my LT35 came new with Bridgestones on, I have now done 40,000 miles on the original tyres ( rears are low, fronts have at least 10k left) and I have never changed the brake pads yet, is this normal??

Well, had a few views but no replies, guess nobody cares.
Anyway, update; replaced one rear tyre for new Bridgestone, and used the spare ( never been out of the cradle) on the other side, and replaced the spare with the best of the worn tyres.

Tyre fitter said he'd never known anybody to get 40k from a set of tyres on this type of vehicle, constantly loaded to about 3/4 tonne.

Still running on the original front tyres, I'll let you know how I get on, if anyone is interested, that is!

Well 53 views and over a month and not one single reply, guess nobody gives a **** or has the courtesy to even post, ain,t much of a forum!:aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4: :zx11: :zx11:

Freshup
15-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Don't know about LT. On out T4's we get min 100k front and rear with Jap tyres. OEM Continentals suffered tread separation at 40k. Keep pressures up near max listed on tyre. Brake pads on seem to last about 65k depending on driver, front rotors on VWs seem soft and generally last only 2 sets of pads.
Smile, someone out there must love ya.
John

plumb bob
15-07-2007, 11:23 PM
Don't know about LT. On out T4's we get min 100k front and rear with Jap tyres. OEM Continentals suffered tread separation at 40k. Keep pressures up near max listed on tyre. Brake pads on seem to last about 65k depending on driver, front rotors on VWs seem soft and generally last only 2 sets of pads.
Smile, someone out there must love ya.
John

Thanks again John, :biglaugh:

Bellinger
13-11-2009, 12:57 AM
I'm new at this but wanted to ask if anyone has a 2003/4 LT35 2.5 TDI and if they have the owners manual. Can you tell me what tyres does VW recommend front and back with pressures

rayl
13-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi Bellinger,
Tyre size are 225/70/15, front pressure 40psi, rear 65psi, (as per makers plate)
To find plate you look at the rear part of the drivers side door pillar just below the catch for the door lock there should be a sticker or plate and the info for your vehicle should be on there, (providing sticker or plate has not been moved of course)
hope this helps

rayl

Bellinger
13-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Thank you rayl. That was what I wanted to know. Can anyone now tell me what is the best tyre manufacturer of the 225/70/15 tyre and why - best wet weather, best milage etc

rayl
15-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi Bellinger,
I prefere Bridgestone, reason being, out of the 400,000+ miles i've done in my van since new bridgestone,s have been used for over 300,000 of these miles and i have never had any trouble from them plus i was getting 60,000 - 70,000 miles out of a set of them front and back , i found they grip in the wet and on braking in wet or dry.
I have tried other makes , but the milage or grip in my opinion was no where near as good as Bridgestone,s, so i stick with them.
rayl

Bellinger
15-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks Rayl,
The New Zealand website says the Bridgestone R623 225/70/15 was developed for the VW Transporter but does not give the Ply Rating - I assume it is 8

rayl
16-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Bellinger,
yes 8 ply rating, the ones i have at mo are Bridgestone Duravis,the ones the van came with from new i could not get i belive these were the 265's
but the equivlent that were put on were just as good. I was told when tyres are new they emit an oil like substance till tyres are bedded in a bit which makes them a little slippy at first, but i had no probs from them at all
rayl

Brian Considine
19-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Thank you rayl. That was what I wanted to know. Can anyone now tell me what is the best tyre manufacturer of the 225/70/15 tyre and why - best wet weather, best milage etc

That's a little like asking "how long is a piece of string ?".

Different people get different results - I personally use Continentals on my T4 & get 50k + out of the front ones, which I am happy with.

As am aside, when I ran a Vito of a similar spec' same sort of use I was lucky to get 30k out of the fronts.

One thing I found out years ago though was to avoid "budget" tyres, they seem to last about half as long as decent branded tyres & at the end of the day it's just not worth it - all the ABS in the world wont help you if that shoe tread area of rubber on the road is not 100%.