PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad De-lamination !!

cbrpaul
20-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Changed my pads on the Sharan last week, due to the material begining to come away from the metal ,

Still had half the material left, too ,

I have googled this and seem to have a few hits back on VW,s suffereing this.

Out of all the cars I have owned over the many years and the many brake pads I have changed I have never seen this before !!

Anyone had it or came across it before , ????

Eshrules
20-07-2010, 12:38 PM
what brand pads are you using? are you sure it's not because they're crap quality?

cbrpaul
20-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I coud not see who the manufacturer was on the back of the pads , they were in there when i bought the car !! ,

but as said , I have fitted tons of different types of pads over the years to all all sorts of cars and bikes , from all sorts of manufactuers and have never seen this before.

New pads I just fitted are Ferodo's one of the worlds largest brake manufacturers , and yes they are nearly a quarter of the price of OEM,s , but that doesnt mean they are not as safe or are going to fall apart.

I was just wondering if anyone else has come across this on their VW ?

Stories of OEM VW pads delaminating here , a change in manufacturing process seems a possibilty ???

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258659

You may to check your pads !!

Eshrules
20-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm not being funny, but they're hardly definitive stories. I firmly believe you get what you give on cars and if you have poor quality brakes (pads or discs) fitted, you'll end up with issues related to them.

I've never had an pads do this, but then I've always fitted decent quality, aftermarket pads. I never use OEM pads, mainly because I consider them to be overpriced in the main and considering I can source a complete Pagid setup for a 1/3rd of the dealer's OEM price....

It's concerning, but I don't think this is a particularly widespread issue.

cbrpaul
20-07-2010, 01:31 PM
As you say you fit "decent quality " after market as do I, and many others no doubt .

The link was not meant to be definitive stories really, I think its just some other VW owners posting up their experiances of what they found happened to them and their brake pads , to other VW onwers , and i popped i up, just to give everyone reading my post an idea that this can and does happen , even with OEM pads

I was quite shocked to see my delaminated pads , ( one came apart in my hand after removal ) and to read others had this too , and with it being a brake issue , if 1 person reads this , checks their pads and finds a problem , then I hope it saves them more problems.

But as you say , im sure its not a widespread issue , just something to be aware of !!!

vwcabriolet1971
20-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Did the pads have the sticky anti-seize film on the rear of the pads ? If not then I would suggest that they were inferior quality.

cbrpaul
20-07-2010, 02:24 PM
i dont think they did , if they did i certainly couldnt see any signs of it !!

Although i thought the film was was more of a anti squeal design

vwcabriolet1971
20-07-2010, 03:43 PM
i dont think they did , if they did i certainly couldnt see any signs of it !!

Although i thought the film was was more of a anti squeal designThat's what I meant to say.

zollaf
24-07-2010, 10:08 AM
all the ones on the forum link seem to be where the pads are old. one chap mentioned the pads were 8 years old. the backing plate is steel. steel rusts, more when its near hot things. im afraid that if this happens to 8 year old pads, then the car is lacking in servicing. yes, the pads may look thick, but you will also spot rust. this is a clue that something is wrong. i have seen this happen a few times myself, again down to rust on the backings. (usually when taking pads out to check them due to being rusty).
another poster said the backing and the lining fell out. obviously the discs were very thin and the pads very worn. again lack of proper servicing.
its very good practice to remove the pads to physically check them on a yearly service, to prevent things like this from happening.
appreciate the heads up on it, but if cars were looked after properly, it would never be a problem.
i liked the one where the chap is on his drive, and the pedal suddenly drops to the floor as a pad drops out, yet he still continues to drive for 60 miles before looking at it ????? 'plonker who should not be allowed a car' comes to mind.

paul b
30-07-2010, 12:25 AM
The existing pads were probably made in China. Before anyone grilles me we all know what the stereotype for that kind of thing is. ;)

The Ferodos you've fitted will be spot on though, they're certainly one of the best braking manufacturers in the world with a very good reputation.

As for Pagids that Esh spoke of, the rear discs on the A6 are Pagid and the front discs and pads on my son's Ibiza are Pagid and they seem fine too. Certainly not a mickey mouse manufacturer!

martin1810
30-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Woman brought car in for squealing brakes one day. "They have been squealing for ages but now it's got worse." Front nearside caliper, no pads. They have worn away, fallen out and she is braking on the pistons.:aargh4:

cbrpaul
30-07-2010, 10:45 AM
, but if cars were looked after properly, it would never be a problem..

not sure thats entirely true !! , with all the best will in the world cars can and do go wrong no matter what you do !!

---

After reading some replies :-

Dont kid yourselfs that your car is perfect and will never go wrong or have a problem because its serviced and looked after, or think that the reason others break down is because they " PROBABLY" put cheap parts on , , they are not perfect and will go wrong , ive seen it many times , as im sure you have too !!

I have seen cars come straight out of the dealers brand new and breakdown 5 mins later,and ive worked on cars spanning 30 years + .

-------

To some up ,

the pads in my sharan were fitted in 2007 by previous owner, i checked them and found a problem , i have now replaced them, my problem is now solved ,

I put this post up to just let/warn others know to check their brakes,

If one person reads this , checks their pads and finds a problem , then my job is done !!

:beerchug:

Eshrules
30-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I have seen cars come straight out of the dealers brand new and breakdown 5 mins later,and ive worked on cars spanning 30 years + .

I lol'd at this.

I'd love to know who did the PDI on these cars that he's seeing breaking down 5 minutes after leaving the dealership.

cbrpaul
30-07-2010, 11:21 AM
I'd love to know who did the PDI on these cars that he's seeing breaking down 5 minutes after leaving the dealership.

I even more LOL'ED at this , he clearly thinks that having a PDI on a car will make it mechanically sound , and not breakdown even if its just come from the dealers !!

Sorry but its a FACT it does happens , nothing is mechanically is perfect !!

lets not detract from topic though , or its gets boring , ;)

BRAKES !!!! :biglaugh:

NickPicks
30-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Who's he, the cat's father?

It is a fact that even new cars break down, but you'd not expect them to break down due to faulty parts or workmanship right after a pdi, but I suppose there's got to be a car somewhere which failed because the pdi didn't realise there was no oil in it.

I'd hate to be the mechanic who did the pdi just before a car broke down. You just know the boss would think you'd missed something.

sharalaxy
04-08-2010, 05:52 AM
PDI mostly done in a rush in my experience as nothing is expected to be wrong, I could hardly believe it when I started as a apprentice 32 years ago,when I was told the Japanese don't make mistakes don't need to check that!!!!!!!!

Eshrules
04-08-2010, 08:39 AM
I even more LOL'ED at this , he clearly thinks that having a PDI on a car will make it mechanically sound , and not breakdown even if its just come from the dealers !!

Sorry but its a FACT it does happens , nothing is mechanically is perfect !!

lets not detract from topic though , or its gets boring , ;)

BRAKES !!!! :biglaugh:

I missed this reply.

My name's Esh - if you want to quote me, please do so, but at least have the decency to use my name. Nothing grinds on me more than poor manners.

If I purchased a new car, which was PDI'd and as I (to quote) " come straight out of the dealers brand new and breakdown 5 mins later" I'd want to know who exactly did the PDI and why my car had broken down 5 minutes after driving it off the forecourt.

It's unacceptable and should not happen.

Nowhere, did I say that PDI ensures mechanical soundness, you assumed.

When you assume.... :biglaugh: