PDA

View Full Version : Unsure about performance of A6 Avant

Mosschopz
08-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi there im new to audi and previously had an old 1992 Golf GTI Mk2 1.8...our new family car is an audi a6 avant 1999 2.5tdi ..i love it to bits so far it feels so safe and sure... but im unsure if it has some power loss or if it is just normal. On the flat it happily gets up to speed but the gearing is very different and new to me...4th seems to max out at about 65-70 where the revs just flatten off is this normal?...then 5th will pull me up to 95> on the flat but not alot further..i appreciate these are high speeds but i expected a bit more....the car seems to pull fine at low speeds especially 2nd in which u can really feel the turbo...

basically accelerating past 80 is very slow and the top i have been able to get is 100 so far...also the mpg is 33.6 average..which is not alot less than my old golf!! but my daily journey to work is short and windy

any ideas or am i just too used to a little snappy gti and i need to get with the new family estate!

PS I need a manual for the car any ideas where i get one (cant believe it didnt have one!)

Shawn

buster
08-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Hi there im new to audi and previously had an old 1992 Golf GTI Mk2 1.8...our new family car is an audi a6 avant 1999 2.5tdi ..i love it to bits so far it feels so safe and sure... but im unsure if it has some power loss or if it is just normal. On the flat it happily gets up to speed but the gearing is very different and new to me...4th seems to max out at about 65-70 where the revs just flatten off is this normal?...then 5th will pull me up to 95> on the flat but not alot further..i appreciate these are high speeds but i expected a bit more....the car seems to pull fine at low speeds especially 2nd in which u can really feel the turbo...

basically accelerating past 80 is very slow and the top i have been able to get is 100 so far...also the mpg is 33.6 average..which is not alot less than my old golf!! but my daily journey to work is short and windy

any ideas or am i just too used to a little snappy gti and i need to get with the new family estate!

PS I need a manual for the car any ideas where i get one (cant believe it didnt have one!)

Shawn

The 2.5TDi is a 150bhp motor with more torque than you can shake a stick at. 180bph if its a quattro

It should pull like a train but it is different from a petrol car and may take a little getting used to.

It should hit 60 in just under 10 seconds and go to about 135 mph, 9 seconds and 140 for the quattro.

When I changed from a 1.9TDi to a 2.8 quattro, I was disappointed until I got used to driving a different fueled car.

Mosschopz
11-06-2007, 01:28 PM
After having driven for a week or so now im getting more happy with the performance...it just took some getting used too...all the torque is between 1.5-3.5 revs which im not used too ....still bit unsure about the top speed tho doesnt want to go much over 110..i havnt really pushed it yet tho..

i am having another problem tho...i can hear a squeely screech noise located to the right of the engine ( looking in from bonnet) it is quiet when i start but get loader the more driving i do...it doesnt change with the revs its just there all the time like a demented tweety bird!...its not aircon as its only when engine is on...any ideas??

buster
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
After having driven for a week or so now im getting more happy with the performance...it just took some getting used too...all the torque is between 1.5-3.5 revs which im not used too ....still bit unsure about the top speed tho doesnt want to go much over 110..i havnt really pushed it yet tho..

i am having another problem tho...i can hear a squeely screech noise located to the right of the engine ( looking in from bonnet) it is quiet when i start but get loader the more driving i do...it doesnt change with the revs its just there all the time like a demented tweety bird!...its not aircon as its only when engine is on...any ideas??

If you bought it from a garage, take it back quick.

Not sure what it is but sounds like a dry bearing. If it is guaranteed, get them to fix it.

Mosschopz
03-07-2007, 09:03 PM
well found out my problem today, the maf filter was fine. The fuel pump is nearly dead! Autotechnics (Gillingham) have quoted me £1300 fitted! cant believe a pump can be so expensive ( at least i know what it is and that autotechinics are very good and i will get genuine parts fitted properly!)

New belt and timing being dona at the same time

I just hope its ok from then on for a while as this is gonna be a monster bill!

S Gray

zorgman
04-09-2009, 06:19 PM
hi
exactly the same problem ive got tho mines the 180bhp model.
you say that its the pump causing the fault did u get it sorted and what was the result as mine had new pump and injectors 80k ago so does it need another new one?

Mosschopz
08-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi,

In the end i decided against the garage fitting the new injector pump! I bought my own air mass meter from GSF and the difference was immediate! loads more power and turbo felt so much better...Unfortunatley Autotechniques were right about the injector though as it went while on holiday a few months later! I had this sorted at a local garage in the end and the car has been great since - Just a shame it took £1500 in the end to sort it!

Hope this helps!!