PDA

View Full Version : A3 brake warning problem ?

gomers
19-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi all,

Really should have introduced myself but felt I had to get straight to a problem I've experienced on my A3 S/B 57 plate.

I recently had the red Brake Warning Light and display in the Driver Info System and buzzer sound whilst accelerating. This caused the engine to cut and I was forced to pull over. When the ignition was turned off and back on, the glowplug light would not go out (1.9 TDI) and the engine would not fire.

After 3 or so minutes, the engine started as normal and I pulled out and continued. A mile or so later when pulling up at traffic lights and applying brake, the same thing happened, display, buzzer and engine dies. Pulled over and decided to get help (company car). While awaiting RAC, I started the engine and left it running at idle, and after about 5 mins, yep, happened again. I wasn't even sat in the car on this occasion !

RAC turn up and after fluid level was checked to be ok (topped up just in case), they thought it was electrical. The plan was for him to follow me and see if it occured. Again while at idle, the same thing again. Getting fed up now. RAC guy plugs in his laptop and nothing shows. He eventually gets the car going again and drives off down the road only to return somewhat later than expeceted after experiencing the problem again for himself.

To cut this missive short, the car has just returned from Audi today after they had it for a week (I was on holiday) and after all their diagnostic chaecks and 25 miles of roadtests, they can find nothing wrong ! They have suggested that the turning off and on again may have wiped any 'record' of the fault and have advised a suck it and see approach.

As you can imagine I have lost a little faith now although today's drive back from the showroom was uneventful and wondered whether anybody could help in advising what may have caused it and whether it may happen again.

Many thanks for any info, will be much appreciated.

PS, Hello !