PDA

View Full Version : Diesel / Biodiesel

daycartes
18-07-2010, 08:03 PM
First of all, I'm not sure that I'm in the correct sub forum -please change if you think fit.

I notice on my 2.7tdi and 1.9 tdi that you are not to use biodiesel. In fact at my local Morrisons they have removed the biodiesel pump. Well I went to tesco yesterday and filled up - and then I noticed that there was a caveat stating that the diesel contained 7% biodiesel.

What are the ramifications of this?

My thoughts are
1) that the % is quite low, then
2) 'does all diesel contain a % of biodiesel'

any thoughts gratefully received.
daycartes

theskyfox
10-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you will be ok. All the fuels do have to meet a certain european standard in this country, and I think there is going to be a point eventually where all fuel will have a certain amount of biofuel in it as part of the environmental schizzle.

Tesco fuel tho is pretty nasty stuff...I'd keep away and stick to a decent brand. I know many of the supermarkets tend to use cheap fuel, and seconds from the refineries. If I remember rightly it was the Tesco fuel that had too much silicon in a few years back that caused a lot of mayhem for many drivers.

Just my two cents

-Andrew

daycartes
23-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks for your comments, theskyfox. When I looked further into this I found that all diesel sold in this country contains an element of biodiesel.

What about the supermarket fuel? It would seem odd to me that the refineries would separate fuel coming in into supermarket/non-supermarket distribution and then process it differently. My cars have run on morrisons fuel for ages now and seem to run fine.

I did fill up with BP Ultimate once and never noticed any difference.