PDA

View Full Version : Turbo problems ????

tennentsfan
08-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi guys and gals ,
Ive just about had it with this passat !!!!!
Anyway its 1.9tdi se on a s plate 99 .
yesterday when doing the school run i noticed that the there was no power when i sank the foot .
After stopping and restarting the car it was fine and has never done it again .
Spoke to my uncle who is a mechanic and he says its probably the air flow meter ???? (common problem ) ????
Went and got a price from autosave and they said £136 for a poxy bit of plastic ???
Anyone had the same problems and know know for definit if it is this ??
cheers people in advance

TheMadhatter
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Another Suggestion , my father used to have a Passat of the same age and model. Around 2001 it showed very similar symptoms, loss of power and a restart cured it, or it came back by itself. Dealer changed the MAF, to no effect and it turned out the problem was one of the pipes on the turbo which was kinking and this caused the loss of power, could be worth checking these are in good condition.

scotty33
09-06-2007, 12:34 PM
My Passat has MAF problems at the moment, the power dies right off, when it is playing up. I was told that unplugging the sensor can make the car drive better which is a good way to tell if it is the MAF at fault. I found this advice does work. With it unplugged there is a power loss (car is in 'limp' mode) but the turbo does work and it is no where near as bad as with a bad sensor.
My problem is that the 'new' MAF I bought off E bay for £28 turns out to be reconditioned, and it only lasted 2 months. Re reading the listing it strongly implies you will be getting a new Genuine Bosch MAF sensor, without actually saying so.
My advice would be to find a Bosch service centre, bound to be lots cheaper than the dealer, there are Bosch and VW part numbers on the sensor. Unless it's Pierburg! don't know where you would go for one of those. GSF, Eurocarparts and Vagparts would all be worth trying before the dealer..

stevegrass777
10-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I would try a corner shop before a dealer.

paasat_mark
12-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Just been to quote a MAF and a Non-Original one from German, French and Sweeish was £60 Cheap one from eBay around £40-£50 delivered but I was very surprised when I was quoted £68inc VAT from VW!!!!!! £8 more than non-original. ALWAYS BUY ORIGINAL, trust me I have bought 2 from ebay in 18 months. £100 down the drain and I still need a new one. :Blush:

tennentsfan
12-06-2007, 07:57 PM
I was looking at that ones on ebay but ive not done anything about it yet cause im not convinced there is anything up with it .
its been a week now and it hasnt done it again is this weird or are they quite temperimental ???

tennentsfan
22-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Well its been another week and its happened many times . Ive started noticing that it doesnt really do it in the town unless you give it some welly . When you r on the open roads and giving it a bit stick when you change to 4th gear there is nothing .Stop the car resart it and away you go turbos fine again . Is the maf sensor problems really as intermitent as this or am i looking at boost control valve ???
Cheers Kieran

Lex Luthor
22-06-2007, 11:26 AM
It can be many things.
Do a search for limp mode.
The best plan is to use vagcom to check the sensor parameters when the engine is running.

yogise
22-06-2007, 02:34 PM
A vagcom check doesnt show up a dirty sensor, just a broken one, but if it is dirty it would hesitate at particular revs and would happen every time, even if you started the engine up again.
I got an original Bosch for £45 delivered to the door of eBay but check the part number on your metre
Do you not know anyone with a tdi passat you could "borrow" from then you would now for sure if it is the sensor

Lex Luthor
22-06-2007, 03:58 PM
A vagcom check doesnt show up a dirty sensor, just a broken one, but if it is dirty it would hesitate at particular revs and would happen every time, even if you started the engine up again.

Check codes are not everything and should not limit the diagnostic process.

All the analogue sensors can be checked for the correct value outputs while the car is driven.