PDA

View Full Version : VW Retrofit

Rennie Mc/r
15-07-2010, 08:29 PM
When I bought my car I was of the opinion I could read a map so didn't need sat-nav & wasn't prepared to pay VW the additional premium for the system. I ordered the RCD510 unit with the Bluetooth etc, etc but now, 15 months down the line, have had a rethink. An advert in VWDriver mag for 'VW Retrofit' caught my eye & I now have a 6 month old RNS510 unit installed at a fraction of the VW price! Chris & Paul at Royle Auto Services, Blackrod, Lancs couldn't have been more helpful. Only problem now is that I have a 15 month old RCD510 lying around! Anyone interested?

MK6 GT140 (now about 170ish after remap), Convenience/Luxury Pack & have managed 70 mpg (indicated) on a very light pedal over a regular 16 mile run.

Cheers All. http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Foxtrot Oscar
15-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Anyone interested?

How much are you looking for and what's its condition?

Keithuk
15-07-2010, 09:21 PM
We have a Cars "For Sale" (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35) section if you want to post your details and pictures Rennie. ;)

kjg-kj
16-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Hello there

How much did your new RNS510 cost? I would be interested in seeing if this unit would fit in the polo (not offered as an option, only the RNS310).

Rennie Mc/r
16-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Dashboard I think is a bit different on Polo but you never know, it may be possible.
Price fitted was £882 & this was a "refurbed by VW Germany" unit originally made Jan 2010 Don't why it was 'refurbed' but works absolutely fine for me.

Rennie Mc/r
16-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi F-O,

Condition is excellent - I look after my kit - & it came out of car reg'd April 09. No marks or faults, only thing I didn't do was clear out the phone memory but that is a minor problem.
Annoyingly, I cannot put my hands on the 4 digit security code which I was sure I had when I got the car - may have to contact VW.

Although it is academic without the code I would be looking £400 plus postage (if necy & dependent on where you are).

Thanks.

Rennie Mc/r
23-07-2010, 02:56 PM
As a follow up to Fox Oscar - apologies for delay, family bereavement last weekend - I have obtained the security code for the RCD510 so we are now all go (if you are still interested).

Foxtrot Oscar
23-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Rennie

Thanks for coming back to me, but I have changed tack. I am going to wait for the warranty to expire in 2 years, at which point the wife will allow me to muck around in these ways :D:o. I will then go for the RNS510 or latest equivalent, as I think the SatNav is a desirable thing to have when selling these cars.

Thanks anyway.

SC03OTT
23-07-2010, 09:49 PM
There isn't a warranty issue if you change the stereo yourself.

Rennie Mc/r
24-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Potentially I suppose the answer is 'Yes'. However I have a 12 month p & l warranty on the unit I acquired which takes me to July/August 2011 & the VW warranty expires April 2012 so (hopefully) there will not be a problem in the 'missing' 7 months. I could try winging it if the situation arose at that time!!

SC03OTT
24-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I see. Well for reference, I had my RCD510 changed under warranty just two weeks ago. I bought it off eBay, and there was no issue. Did I mention it was off eBay? No. Did the dealer ask? No. It's all good :)

Keithuk
24-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I see. Well for reference, I had my RCD510 changed under warranty just two weeks ago.
So what did you have fitted before RCD310?

I can't see how you had it changed under warranty unless there was a fault with the original equipment. The dealer should have replaced it with their stock not something you bought of eBay. ;)

SC03OTT
24-07-2010, 03:29 PM
So what did you have fitted before RCD310?

I can't see how you had it changed under warranty unless there was a fault with the original equipment. The dealer should have replaced it with their stock not something you bought of eBay. ;)

Nope. RCD300 was original equipment. I bought the 510 off eBay. It developed a fault (cd changer stopped working), so when it was in for a service I mentioned it. They tested it, and said they would replace it.

Rennie Mc/r
26-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Nice one! Good to get one over on the dealership for a change. But it suggests they did not have the original unit security code at the time. My dealer had the code for the replaced unit on the PDI record " 'cos the the PDI etc was done properly".
Just in passing, as you have a Jetta, have you seen the piccies of the new Jetta due out early next year? Looks pretty good for a 3 box saloon (or is it sedan?)

SC03OTT
26-07-2010, 05:08 PM
My car was an ex fleet vehicle, so I'm not sure how readily available the PDI information is too them. The dealer doesn't lose out anyway, as it's claimed back from VW. I did wonder when it went in for the exchange if there was maybe some sort of barcode that would be scanned, thus revealing the faulty units original car (a GTD if anyone was wondering).

Yeah I have seen the pics. I'm undecided. Some pics it looks really good (when fitted with 18" Vancouvers) but others i'm unconvinced. Another negative is that apparently the TDI 170 unit is not being made available. If it's not, I won't be looking at one when I come to change cars. Overall I'm not saying it's a bad looking car. I'm not it's target market for a start, so I'm not trying to be won over by VW (I'm 23 btw). The Golf is really the car aimed at me, and to an extent the Polo as well.

Keithuk
26-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Nope. RCD300 was original equipment. They tested it, and said they would replace it.
Yes but the replacement should be an RCD300 not a RCD510 that you've bought. So VW get away as its costing them nothing really. ;)

Rennie Mc/r
27-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I can understand your reticence. Jetta is aimed at the N American market & built in Mexico so it's not really a major interest factor over here. Having said that I had a PD140 SE '56 plate before my Golf which I enjoyed - after a remap to 170 ish. Didn't make the engine any quieter but it went like stink even with that massive boot filled. Only downside was that in third & foot to the floor it lay down a black smokescreen like a WW2 destroyer! Getting body parts following a "minor" bend was a bit of a problem but Cust Serv at Milton Keynes expedited them direct from Mexico quite quickly.
Anyway, my RCD510 is still available to anyone interested & the RNS510 is performing nicely - love it when she gets shirty & tells me to do a U-turn!!!!
Take care.

akt
18-08-2010, 05:25 PM
can anyone confirm if this indeed fits in the 2010 VW polo, i have seen it working in a polo on some youtube videos.

I have a VW POLO 2010 and it comes with this head unit. I cant seem to find out the model number for this, it looks a bit different from RCD 310.

can anyone please tell me if i upgrade to RCD 510, will it be a simple plug-n-play or will it require any coding?

http://images.cardekho.com/images/carinteriorimages/large/Volkswagen/Volkswagen-Polo/057.jpg

Keithuk
18-08-2010, 05:58 PM
can anyone confirm if this indeed fits in the 2010 VW polo, i have seen it working in a polo on some youtube videos.

http://images.cardekho.com/images/carinteriorimages/large/Volkswagen/Volkswagen-Polo/057.jpg
Well that picture looks like it could be an RCD 210 (http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&biw=1132&bih=656&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=vw+rcd+210&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=).

You can search YouTube but I can't find any info on installing only activating the gadgets. ;)

vc-10
18-08-2010, 06:01 PM
That's an odd one- according to VW.co.uk the Polo comes with either the RCD210 (S, S A/C), the RCD310 (the rest) or optionally the RCD510 or RNS310. The one in your photo is none of those (assuming the photos in the brochure PDF are right!).

I've had a Moda and an S as rentals, and the stereos looked like the ones in the brochure. That one looks more like the RCD300 my mum's Mk.5 Golf has- the area below the screen is the same, but the screen and the buttons next to the screen are different. Weird.

akt
18-08-2010, 06:08 PM
This is the standard version and in fact the only stereo available to us in India.
Obviously it looks too simple and i am very much interested in buy a RCD-510

-My only concern will it be a plug and play option?
-Do the new 2010 VW models also require any coding or any CANBUS issues?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/375649d1277583679t-new-polo-highline-tdi-test-drive-initial-ownership-report-p6260159.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/375648d1277583679-new-polo-highline-tdi-test-drive-initial-ownership-report-p6260158.jpg

We also get this Multi functional display which i think is a smaller version of MFD offered in uk
is there any way it can display the song information through RCD 510. (it doesnt at the moment with the stock stereo)

vc-10
18-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Yes, that's different to the UK one. The UK one displays the speed in km/h, time, outside temperature, miles/trip and fuel level (at least the standard one in the lower specced cars does). The Bluemotion, SEL and GTI all have a mulitfunction computer as standard. The UK one fills the whole of that rectangular bit IIRC

Your location says UK but you say India... on holiday? ;-)

akt
18-08-2010, 06:18 PM
no i have relatives in uk and i am desperate to take the RCD 510 back home before i leave. Thats why i joined this forum.
I am short on time and really need help.

what exactly is this CANBUS coding? i thought the lateset models wouldnt be needing any.
i just dont want to end up with a paperweight and that too a heavy one! ;-)

Keithuk
18-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Yes, that's different to the UK one. The UK one displays the speed in km/h, time, outside temperature, miles/trip and fuel level (at least the standard one in the lower specced cars does).

I think thats the difference between HighLine and MidLine dash. ;)

akt
18-08-2010, 07:06 PM
anyone? any suggestions?

vc-10
18-08-2010, 07:12 PM
It should work- I can't see why VW would change the connector. However, if you can find a diagram of the connectors it might be a good idea, so you can check against the RCD510.

Keithuk
18-08-2010, 09:16 PM
It should work- I can't see why VW would change the connector. However, if you can find a diagram of the connectors it might be a good idea, so you can check against the RCD510.
Well you can have a read of this Volkswagen RCD 510 pin assignments (http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments). This is a great site for VW mods bookmark it. ;)

akt
19-08-2010, 05:09 AM
thanks Keithuk, i checked the above website.
i just wish to know, does the RCD 510 come with a AUX-input where by i can just attach a 3.5mm cable (maybe at the back) and just play my ipod. I dont need the ipod display on the unit.

http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/volkswagen_rcd_510_rear_N91-11036.gif

The pins at 5 do indicate AUX-in left and right and earth, but those are pins not a regular 3.5mm jack input.

SC03OTT
19-08-2010, 07:13 AM
No, there is no 3.5mm jack as a standard fit.

Keithuk
19-08-2010, 11:50 AM
i just wish to know, does the RCD 510 come with a AUX-input where by i can just attach a 3.5mm cable (maybe at the back) and just play my ipod. I dont need the ipod display on the unit.

I don't have an iPod but if I did then on the RCD310 there is an iPod socket on the armrest.

You could always search YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rcd+510+ipod&aq=2s). ;)

vc-10
19-08-2010, 05:16 PM
The RCD510 and RCD310 on the Polo have connectors down under the aircon controls. Don't know how the connectors go together though. The MDI connector is good though, really useful on the rental one I had!