PDA

View Full Version : 1.9tdi Starting problem

Chapman34
15-07-2010, 11:19 AM
hello , im kinda new here , i have a audi a4 but im post on behalf of my mother-in-law

its a 1996 1.9 TDI estate , and for some reason it doesn't start most of the time , the warning lights and coil lights come on on dash , and when u go onto the last click on the ignition nothing :S. im not sure if its ignition barrel related or immobilizer related i havent a clue :S if anyone could put me in the right directions fault finding wise, i have searched on here but not much luck. i have checked using vagcom for error codes but nothing related to it

thanks

passat 130 tdi
16-07-2010, 09:49 PM
i'd be looking at the cables running to the starter motor ,possibly need cleaned or they are loose - if its a solonoid type the contacts in the solonoid could be pitted. also check the battery itself , are the terminals tight and is it charged ok .

DSG4ME
19-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Whats the battery like, is it old and are the terminals clean and tight, and are the dash lights dim? does it have a battery operated key fob? batteries die in these, and also the key itself can go bad.

Other things, the starter motor might be dying, or there maybe teeth missing on the flywheel, try putting it in gear and pushing the car forwards a few feet, then try, if it goes ok I'd say you have teeth missing and the starter isn't engaging, you could also try tapping the starter with a bar, this sometimes frees a jammed starter off and the car will start, if it does, get a new starter as it will only work for a while like that.

Chapman34
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Right , ive now been given this car , im still having problems starting it , i think ignition barrel related , possibly maybe even immobiliser but not to sure , any ideas? i know its not battery or starter motor as these are fine

DSG4ME
02-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Warning light on the dash that is a coil is the glow plug one iirc, if these are shot, you will have trouble starting it.

Chipped2
15-02-2011, 02:49 AM
Have you checked the 50A glow plug fuse situated beneath the bonnet, on the passenger side on the bulkhead in its own fuse holder. Pull down the plastic flap to expose the fuse .

They can corrode or crack with vibration. It is made from soft bendy grey metal and are I think only available from VW Dealers. Held in place with two large phillips scews.

bazzateer
29-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi, first post on this forum! :beerchug:

I recently bought a 1996 1.9 CL TDi estate off eBay. The ignition switch does exactly as you describe. A previous owner has fitted a push button starter switch to the column shroud so you turn the key as normal to get the dash lights on then push the button and she starts fine. I'm assuming the fault was in the ign switch and rather than pay VW an arm and a leg for a new one they rigged up an alternative for a few quid. Just a shame they lost the spare key, just paid £90 to have a spare made!

Just wondering if this is the same car?