PDA

View Full Version : Question Jetta engine replacement

bca
14-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi
Got a 55 plate Jetta Se with 2l petrol engine.
Was driving along at a low speed, turned a corner and the engine cut out. Wouldnt start so called RAC who towed me to VW main dealer.
Dealer rang to say the engine needed replacing at a cost of £5.5k. Seemed like the water pump seized(?) which caused the cambelt to come off (not break) causing irreparable engine damage. They adjusted their quote to £4.3k after consultation with VW goodwill.

Does this sound right for a car with only 45k on the clock? 6 months out of warranty with a service at 38k six months ago.

Your comments would be appreciated.

B

tony-1977
14-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Does it have a full dealer history? When was the cambelt last changed? If it's 55 plate, it should have been done recently (5 years / 60k interval), so the 5 year service should have done it. Normally it is recommended that the water pump is changed with the cambelt, as the belt needs to come off to so the pump!

Would be better to try and find another Jetta that has been written off in a rear-end shunt and get the engine out. Would be a lot cheaper that £4.3k!!

If it's got a full dealer history and it has not been done yet, push them for a (much) bigger contribution :)

bca
15-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Yes full dealer history. Bought from new at same dealer.
Service was done in November 09 at 38000 miles. I'd have thought they would have recommended the cambelt to be changed soon as it was due at 40000

They are adamant and wont budge on price

tony-1977
15-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Think you've got a good case here. They serviced it at 38k, knowing the next service would be past 40k, when the cambelt should have been replaced. I would keep pushing :)

Good luck :beerchug: