PDA

View Full Version : TDI Turbo Fault??

Chilly
11-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello,

Just bought a 2003 TDI 130 saloon 97K miles yesterday after looking for the right one for 2 months. Imagine how disappointed I was when I pulled onto the motorway and the power dropped off at 3000 revs. This seems to happen in any gear. When I accelerate slowly above 3000 revs the turbo stops working all together. When the ignition is switched off for a while the turbo starts working again but with the 3000 rev limit.

Please can anyone help, has anyone experiences a similar problem.

Thanks.

glynnd
13-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Have the air mass meter checked first:approve:

gellery
13-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Hi

I have a similar fault on my 51 plate GTTDI, have had the MAF changed with no effect. Typically the car is fine for the first hour or so of driving and then if you try to accelerate there is no power. If I turn the engine off and on again it's fine for another half hour or so and it happens again.

The car is now on it's 3rd visit to the garage and is having the turbo rebuilt. The garage has told me that it is a very common problem with the turbo that VW should have recalled and that reconditioning the turbo always fixes the problem. In the mean time im having to use a Toyota Starlet so I need to get the prob fixed ASAP!!!

Does anyone else have experience of this problem?

Cheers

G

Chilly
13-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Glynnd,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had this checked yet. Going to a local garage tomorrow to get the fault codes checked and hopefully this will reveal something. Having read a number of posts on this site I suspect / hope it is the air flow meter so I can get it fixed and start enjoying my new car.

I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Chilly
14-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Hello,

Got the ECU codes checked today and it seems to be the MAF meter. I have spoken to the dealer I bought the car from and he said the he would cover the cost of the repairs ( about £100 ). He has been surprisingly good about the problem, I would definitely recommend them.

Speaking to the mechanic who checked my car he said the he has had a number of problems with the waste gate on VW turbos. Because it turns rather then lifts open if can sometimes jam with carbon deposits. The best thing to do in this case is to replace the turbo. Don’t know if this help anyone else but I though it best to post it up here anyway.

Thanks.

gellery
15-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Ive had the waste gates replaced in the turbo and the turbo generally reconditioned, getting the car back on Friday. Apparantly the carbon traps around the notches in the waste gate and it jams open causing the engine to go into overboost.

Proof is in the pudding though so i'll wait to see when I get it back!

G

glynnd
16-03-2006, 05:09 PM
I suspect that I have this problem intermittently. Sometimes my car absolutely flies, I had a race with a clio 182 and he could not pull away from me it was a right laugh. But the performance has now gone back to normal again:zx11: My car is a passat tdi 130!

Chilly
17-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Well my air flow meter is fixed, hurray! I can now get above 3000 revs…
…but not 4000. The guy at the garage seem quite knowlagable and he has suggested that it might be because the Exhaust Gas Recycle valve is carbonised. It will need stripped down and cleaned.

Does this sound familiar to anyone???

Thanks.