PDA

View Full Version : Remote Key Problem - Help!

doobs
12-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Don't believe it! - Just bought 03 plate 1.4s and remote was not working - no red light on remote. Changed battery (inserting battery in same way as old one), but it still did not work. Realised that contact not touching battery, so bent it and realised previous owner had inserted battery wrong way round. Inserted battery correctly and bingo, red light flashes! Go to car and it works first time - happy bunny.

Whilst in my house, I decide to press remote lock/unlock button (max 1 time each or possibly both simultaneously) whilst not near car. Few minutes later, go to car and it now does not work even though red light on remote works correctly. I appear to have solved one problem but created another! I have tried various forum methods to reprogramme the remote with no luck. Was it a coincidence I pressed the buttons whilst not near the car that caused the problem or is it something else. I have seen others mention 2 batteries, but I only remember seeing one. Is there 2 batteries on some remotes? If the red light still works though, presumably it is not a battery issue?

I have seen something about the dealers doing a "hard" or "deeper" permanent programming - is it possible I have temporarily reset the remote but then after a day or two it has lost its memory?

I am so annoyed as I thought I had sorted it out but now appear to have bu**ered it up!

Advice appreciated

doobs
12-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Update

No matter what I try, I can't get remote to work - I have followed the handbook repgramming method given to the letter of the law (and then on later attempts with slight varioations) with no success. I can't understand how it was working but then suddenly stopped. Is there an internal IR receiver in the vehicle or do I have a problem with the key ? Assuming the internal IR receiver is ok, if I cant get the remote to work is it possible just to source/buy the remote part of the key (keeping the transponder/blade) and reprogramme the replacement remote? The reason I ask is that we have tested the battery and it is ok, but after a while trying to reprogram various ways, the battery light seems to not light up for no reason. After a while fiddling about with it or taking the remote apart (out of frustration) the red light seems to work again! I have seen other people mentioning a replacement remote will need coding to the car - is this the same as reprogramming - sorry for all the questions, I just want to resolve it somehow!!!!!!

ini
13-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the problem is with your remote fob, and not the car.

Either the battery is no good, or there is a problem with the switch/electronics. Some older model remote's had two battery's, but newer types only use one.

I would also try erasing all the stored remote's from the car's memory and syncing them again.

doobs
13-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks - As it worked for a day or two, I am also thinking it is battery (less likely as tested ok) or remote (more likely) related.

How do I erase any stored remotes? If i do this does it cause any transponder/immobilser issues or is that totally separate?

Am I right in thinking that if it is a remote issue, that i can note the model/frequency etc of the exisitng remote, get a replacement off ebay and reprogramme that one (assuming it reprogrammes ok!) and fit it to the original working key blade/transponder and it should be ok or does the remote have to be coded to the vehicle (to stop it opening other seats!!) as well as programmed? Sorry but don't really understand the difference between remote coding and reprogramming if there is one! - could someone advise me on this ?

If I get a replacement and it does not reprogramme for any reason, presumably I will not do any damage to the original key blade/transponder as that is the last thing I want!

Thanks

ini
13-07-2010, 10:34 PM
The remote part of the fob is a totally separate system from the immo transponder, and wiping the stored remote keys will not affect the ignition.

If you buy a remote flip-key half, just ensure it has the same part number.

To erase all stored keys:

1. Roll down the drivers window and switch on the ignition.

2. Using a second key, lock the drivers door.

3. Press the remote unlock button 5 times at one second intervals (horn should sound).

4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to erase all stored remotes.

5. Switch ignition OFF.

6. Then re-sync all remote keys

doobs
14-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks - unfortunately the clearing process did not work either. I still feel it is a remote issue, so will try one off ebay and then as a last resort, the dealer

doobs
16-07-2010, 05:50 PM
New battery tried - still red light blinks on remote as before but will not remotely open car or accept any/numerous programming methods I have tried to reprogramme. Checked fuse 38 seems ok and other fuse 38 bits work anyway.

I can only think it either

a) the remote is faulty in some way
b) the ccu is faulty - although the remote function did work for a day or two before mysteriously stopping

I suspect it is more likely remote key related so will try to source a used remote key and reprogramme or as a last resort try dealer

Am I missing any other possible issues ?