PDA

View Full Version : Please Help '96 Passat serious oil leak

Oxwall
12-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Hope you can help, i was having a windscreen chip repaired and the VW was sat running while the bloke sorted it, suddenly oil began pouring from underneath, he turned it off immediately. He suggested it was either the filter or the sump nut. to give me a bit of insight can anyone help and suggest if there are any other reasons for this to happen?
I'm not great at mechanics but am very willing and eager to learn and i take it the 2 suggestions above are pretty basic maintenance anyway.
I don't fancy getting shafted at the local garage. any sound advice would be much appreciated.

Crasher
12-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Why would a local garage shaft you? It seems that everyone thinks all garages are crooks, some are yes but then again so are some doctors, bankers, politicians, footballers etc.

What engine is in your car?

Oxwall
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
hello Crasher, i'm not saying they all do that, but i have had some liberties taken previously and it has made me quite wary.
i'm more than happy to use a recommended garage and until recently i had a diamond mechanic,. but he's buggered off to Cornwall now and i have yet to get myself sorted with a new reliable one.
also as it stands i'm struggling financially and would like to start doing these type of repairs myself if at all possible.
it's a 2.0 GL estate...96 plate

thanks for your response...Ox

Crasher
12-07-2010, 04:22 PM
You will need to get the car up on stands (properly supported) and with the sump level correct, run the engine and see where the oil is coming from, then we can advise you on how to deal with it. The 2 litre 8v ADY or AGG engine can leak from the oil cooler seal and this normally responds to be tightened up with a 27-mm socket once the oil filter is off.

Oxwall
12-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Thanks very much for the advice Crasher, much appreciated!
i will let you know how i get on.
cheers
Ox