PDA

View Full Version : Question Steering Judder at low speed normal ??

Chucky666UK
11-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Quoted this problem to the dealer when my car was with them a few days ago (under warranty). They said it was normal and nothing can be done about it. ???????. How can it be normal ? Everytime I try to park the car or am in slow moving traffic the steering will rumble/judder significantly as if the car is about to stall!!!! I just dont trust the dealer!! Surely there has got to be a fix. Any help please ?

P.S. I have already played around with tyre pressures!

Bratty
11-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Staight away I would check your hydraulic steering fluid level. Then if that is OK take it to another dealership and DEMAND they check it out, as unless you are on full lock (and holding it there!) then it should not labour the engine.

Dunk

Chucky666UK
12-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Staight away I would check your hydraulic steering fluid level. Then if that is OK take it to another dealership and DEMAND they check it out, as unless you are on full lock (and holding it there!) then it should not labour the engine.

Dunk

Thank you dunk. How do I check the steering hydraulic fluid? Where abouts in the engine bay is it? Is it the grey bottle in front of the ESP module just behind the passenger headlight?

Cheers buddy

Chuck

Bratty
12-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Yep, thats the one, Left-hand side front looks like a black sphere.

Have a look in the manual (I Know!! Males do Not Have to do that;)) but on about page 233 its states that at Full Tilt the Steering pump MAY! make noises and make the Motor hunt a bit (because of the extra load that the pump is demanding I presume?).

If fluid level is OK and you are not at full tilt when parking then if the motor is cutting out I would be looking at a fuel injection set-up or managment problem.

Dunk

XM640
24-07-2010, 08:08 AM
yeh the steering on my B8 does similar to what you have described.

At first service I raised this with my dealer who ahem believes "its normal" but I insisted they document my complaint (they have) in case of any problems down the track. I have gotten used to it.

However I have since read, in a couple of US Audi/VW forums, several threads on this very issue. Audi *apparently* know of the problem, have *apparently* issued a service bulletin about it which *apparently* requires a replacement hydraulic steering hose.

gazza1
24-07-2010, 08:53 AM
I'd go to another dealer if these guys won't investigate (all they gotta do is the lift the bonnet). You could always call out the roadside service that they offer. Engineer at Oxford Audi said that there is something with the servotronic steering that alot of people had complained about on the B8 but there was nothing that they could do.

As mentioned above you should be able to go full lock with your little finger (well almost!) no juddering. I have a new B8 and I have already had to have a new power steering system put in, so I wouldn't give up until you have had someone look, if its uner warranty can't see what their problem is. Takes all of 5 mins to determine whether your power steering is knackered by someone in service.

Chucky666UK
24-07-2010, 03:26 PM
I'd go to another dealer if these guys won't investigate (all they gotta do is the lift the bonnet). You could always call out the roadside service that they offer. Engineer at Oxford Audi said that there is something with the servotronic steering that alot of people had complained about on the B8 but there was nothing that they could do.

As mentioned above you should be able to go full lock with your little finger (well almost!) no juddering. I have a new B8 and I have already had to have a new power steering system put in, so I wouldn't give up until you have had someone look, if its uner warranty can't see what their problem is. Takes all of 5 mins to determine whether your power steering is knackered by someone in service.

Ok, thanks for all the comments guys. My car has been back at the dealership since Thursday morning. Spoke to the master technician yesterday who asked about problems with the steering. He then told me that he needs to keep the car till the middle of next week since has to 'order some parts'. I dont know what to make of this. They can keep it as long as they like as I have a 2010 courtesy A4 S line (same as mine but with less toys!!) and there is NO PROBLEM with the steering or the mpg on this which convinces me even more about mine that there must be a problem.

Will keep you updated in case it helps someone else with similar problems.

Chucky666UK
01-08-2010, 10:57 AM
*** UPDATE ***. Just got my car back from Audi - steering judder sorted !! They replaced a power steering hose with a modified one!! Great!! Hope this helps anyobe else with a similar problem. Now the Mpg is still hurting me. Drove to Birmingham and back (280 miles) at average 47 mpg driving at around 70 mph. Still poor in my opinion should be getting above 50 at least!!

Lionmax
02-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi, i have recently prchased a Audi A4 B8 (2008) & i have experienced similar problems as yourslef.. when driving slow & turning the steering judders & also after driving for a while the steering becomes heavy. I have taken the car to the dealer they say this is normal. Also i use to get a very good mpg on my previous car Audi A4 B7 but on this new model the average is really poor.