PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Jenni1188
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Hi all,:arms:

Got to leave this short and sweet as i am at work.

Im Jenni from the Wigan area and am currently looking to buy a VW golf 1.6 S or SE at around about £3000 - £3600, currently i drive a 1.2 corsa k reg so anything is better than that bangor.

I have seen 1 shown below: Does it sound ok, bit high on the miles though! I want either black or silver so if anyone knows of one in Lancashire please let me know!
2001 VOLKSWAGEN Golf 1.6 SE

Price: £3,495ono.

Features:

5 Door, Y reg. 80000 Miles, Manual, Petrol, In met silver, 4x e/w, PAS, r/c/l, e/m, air con, multiple airbags, GTi alloys, CD/cass, 5 disc stereo, traction, onboard computer, ABS, 12 months MoT, immac cond.

Any comments would be grateful and thanks for reading.

Speak soon!

Jen :o

golf tdi 02
07-06-2007, 02:26 PM
hi pop down the midlands and there is plenty to choose from bigger and better and more to pick happy hunting oh please do a hpi check on whatever you buy:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug: rich.....

MalcQV
07-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Welcome :beerchug:

As for "is it a good price", it sounds good. Does it compare with others of a similar age?
I usually just compare similar cars on Autotrader.

I guess the proof is in the pudding, go take a look assuming it is local.

Good luck.

Fettler
08-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Jen

Welcolme and happy hunting. :beerchug: :beerchug:

RickT
10-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Welcome.. have you managed to find owt...

RickT

Jenni1188
12-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi Forum

Well thank you to those who replied, i'm new to this so im not sure where i am writing and i doubt il ever see this post again but in time, hopefully i shall learn.

I went to see a golf and my word it was bad! :zx11:

The car I was looking at was absolutely beautiful to look at BUT! :aargh4:

The seller said he owned a VW/ audi garage and didn’t have room on the forecourt for it,
He Wasn't the owner, still had the person who he supposedly got it off on it,
He said he would get me the HPI report, I never got it, even though I would do it myself
The drivers electric window didn't work
You couldn’t get in from the drivers door as the key didn't unlock it but on the advert it said RCL and when I asked he said the fob had been lost
Had done 5000 over the cam belt change, with no change
The drivers door and the back door didn't line up
There was a huge chip in the drivers view, new windscreen needed

In the end he knocked off £200 saying the door lock and fob can be done from VW for £35 and the cam belt change again at VW for £130, which i know is not true!

He kept saying what do you want from a 1999 car and for £3700, he kept saying it was unmarked but I saw bubbles of rust on the wheel arch and there where a lot of scratches.

My mums partner has a 1996 car and all the electric windows work, you can get in the door and he owns it and he paid 1500 so I want a lot more for 3700

Well there goes that one but i am in no rush and may be able to push my budget a little higher if i wait!

Speak soon Jenni x :p

leckford
12-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Jenni,

I resently bought a 2.0 Gti 2001 mk4 golf 67k miles for 4300. excellent condition, in and out.

So a '99 1.6 at 3700 sounds on the expensive side. I had to look at 3 other cars before i found it, the others all had issues. just keep looking.

MalcQV
13-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Hi Forum

Well thank you to those who replied, i'm new to this so im not sure where i am writing and i doubt il ever see this post again but in time, hopefully i shall learn.

I went to see a golf and my word it was bad! :zx11:

The car I was looking at was absolutely beautiful to look at BUT! :aargh4:

The seller said he owned a VW/ audi garage and didn’t have room on the forecourt for it,
He Wasn't the owner, still had the person who he supposedly got it off on it,
He said he would get me the HPI report, I never got it, even though I would do it myself
The drivers electric window didn't work
You couldn’t get in from the drivers door as the key didn't unlock it but on the advert it said RCL and when I asked he said the fob had been lost
Had done 5000 over the cam belt change, with no change
The drivers door and the back door didn't line up
There was a huge chip in the drivers view, new windscreen needed

In the end he knocked off £200 saying the door lock and fob can be done from VW for £35 and the cam belt change again at VW for £130, which i know is not true!

He kept saying what do you want from a 1999 car and for £3700, he kept saying it was unmarked but I saw bubbles of rust on the wheel arch and there where a lot of scratches.

My mums partner has a 1996 car and all the electric windows work, you can get in the door and he owns it and he paid 1500 so I want a lot more for 3700

Well there goes that one but i am in no rush and may be able to push my budget a little higher if i wait!

Speak soon Jenni x :p

Well done, sounds like know your stuff and are not easily taken in. I do not think you are asking too much for your money. Keep looking and you will find the car.

That one sounded like a right lemon, as for the car..... :p

RickT
13-06-2007, 10:36 PM
good job you kept away from that..

Theres a lot of good deals out there for the money you want to spend... one tip... increase the distance you are perpared to travel and im sure you will get the right deal..

I travelled 210 miles for my last car!!

RickT

golf tdi 02
15-06-2007, 09:06 AM
hi jen
sounds like you might get a tdi for around 4-500 or 5k poss 02 reg with full genuine vw s-history but you have to look under the stones they are out there g
good luck
rich...;)

Ben
15-06-2007, 09:42 AM
I can only agree with what he ^ said. I was looking for a car even tho i wasn't in a position to change, but all the resaerch helped as i wasn't expecting my car to be written off. Still i kept looking knowing that patience is a virtue and the best things come to those who wait, and boy am i glad i did wait. I got a corker of a car albeit 3 times the budget you have but the same still applies. never be afraid to walk away. The good cars don't stay for sale for long, so when you find one you'll know its the one for you. I did with mine. Have faith.;) :p :)

Jenni1188
13-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi Guys, not been on here in ages as its been busy but since the last post i still haven't found my car.
Looked at a couple more but still i found it very dodgy, the fella said it was perfect and at a garage with 20 cars, turned up at a lock up, no sign with 3 cars in it, he said it was well lit but the light he had parked it under was out, said that golfs are well known for having white gunge near the oil cap, said the smoke was due to an oil change but then said he coudnt change the oil filter but then after said he had worked on vw for 20 years I said no and walked as i noticed a big dent on the wheel arch etc.
Looked at another and was really goo for its money but only had 3 months MOT and the side skirt was dented from front to back but was a good mechanical car!

Still looking but getting a little sick of it!

Thank you for your replys, i have now found how to find my posts as i kept loosing them!

Anyway thanks guys and you might find me on here more often now i have an idea how to work the damn thing!

Jen

MalcQV
14-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Good ones are hard to find then!!

Jenni1188
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi all,

well the waiting paid off, i have my car tomorrow,:aargh4: a 2001 vw golf se 1.6, 16v, FVWSH, the garage has taxed it, is paying for the 12 months mot in April or he would send it for its test tomorrow and 6 month warrenty. He sells them from his home and has been there 14 years, nice guy, didnt push, answered truthfully, if he didnt know he said, let m take it for a spin on my own and is giving me the HPI report with the car.

Lets hope its a good one!

Jen
x
:biglaugh:

hagis
05-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Well done! Taking your time has paid off compared to what you went through with your earlier efforts!

chrisvrscrx
05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Nice one, Just to let you know we will be expecting pictures of you nice new car ;)

bora(ing) nick
05-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Hope the car is worth the wait!

Nick

Teddy-MK2
05-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Do you have any plans for the car, or are you keeping it stock?