PDA

View Full Version : Speed Awareness Course

prolfe
07-06-2007, 09:06 AM
I went on a Speed Awareness course yesterday in Stevenage old town.

I was quite sceptical about the whole thing and wondered if they were going to use shock tactics.

but

it was fine, there was no pressure to feel that you must not speed. The guy taking the course was light hearted throughout.

We were able to voice our opinions all the way through the course.

There was about 15 people on this session that started at 8.15am and went on to 2.30pm.

We had up until 10.45 of the issues around speeding and how to lookout for the maximum speed for the road you are on by looking at road markings, lamposts etc

We then had from 11.30 until 2.00 in a car with an instructor, I had another bloke in with me, but some people were on their own.

This was like an advanced driving lesson.

What I learnt was; if there are regular lamposts and no maxiumum speed signs then you are in a 30 zone. if there are no regular lamposts and no maximum speed signs then you are in a national speed limit.

The road you are on will tell you if the speed is anything different from 30 or 60.

30mph signs are not permitted to be on lamposts. (the law)
20,40 and 50 are allowed and you quite often get reminder signs.

I also noticed that on the approach to roundabouts is where you are most likely to see maximum speed signs to indicate that you are coming out of one speed zone and are going into another.

We were also told that for a particular stretch of road to have a fixed speed camera there has to be at least 1 maybe 2 deaths and or a few serious injuries. Serious injury as in life changing (brain damage, loss of limb etc) not just a couple of broken legs.

Although more often than not we are stuck on the motorway due to an accident, on average only 3% of the uk's accidents are on them.

So after my scepticism i would recommend this course to anyone, even if they're taking it just to avoid 3 points.

Sam
07-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I took one a long time ago.

I too was expecting shock tactics etc.

I had to go to the local town hall and while filling in my details and trying to act "not bothered" I spotted my grandfather, my neighbour and a few mates doing the same thing.

It worked though, I came out of it with a new look on things.

buster
07-06-2007, 01:54 PM
We were also told that for a particular stretch of road to have a fixed speed camera there has to be at least 1 maybe 2 deaths and or a few serious injuries. Serious injury as in life changing (brain damage, loss of limb etc) not just a couple of broken legs.

Good post

However, they have told you a little fibbie.

The KSI (Killed or Seriously Injured) statistic means anyone who is killed or injured to such an extent that he/she has to go to hospital. A broken thumb is classed as a KSI.

The old rules, which have now been relaxed almost to non existense, stated that there must be 2 KSI and 4 PCI (personal collision injury) to have a camera there, although this was ignored in the main and there is nothing you can do about it.

I have been told that Wiltshire used a person who was killed near to a motorway bridge as one of their KSI's to enable them to put a mobile camera position on the bridge. The person had actually fell of the bridge and wasn't even involved in a traffic accident!

I am sure that you have been told this just as an exageration to prove a point.

golf tdi 02
07-06-2007, 02:30 PM
good post it took me 3 kids to slow down in a car the wife still hates my driving:confused:

RickT
07-06-2007, 04:16 PM
good post it took me 3 kids to slow down in a car the wife still hates my driving:confused:

i take it you mean the top answer..... as depening where the commer is it could mean 2 totally different things.....

ie

it took me 3 kids to slow down in a car, the wife still hates my driving !

OR..

it took me 3 kids to slow down, in a car the wife still hates my driving !

RickT

golf tdi 02
07-06-2007, 04:20 PM
sorry for spelling mistakes
not bad because im dislecsik:confused:

buster
07-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Saw a sign once which read, "DYSLEXICS OF THE WORLD UNTIE."

Not quite so funny if you are dyslexic, but made me chuckle :biglaugh:

prolfe
07-06-2007, 05:01 PM

You too are a member of DNA then. Great. (sorry, DNA is the National Dyslexic Association)

:)

Sam
07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Dyslexia luRes KO

<sorry>

buster
07-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I wonder why everyone apologises after telling Dyslexic jokes, but we still tell them LOL

Two dyslexics walk into a room and one says, "Can you smell gas?"

The other replies, "I can't smell my own name most of the time!"

I'll get my coat...........

Eshrules
08-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I wonder why everyone apologises after telling Dyslexic jokes, but we still tell them LOL

Two dyslexics walk into a room and one says, "Can you smell gas?"

The other replies, "I can't smell my own name most of the time!"

I'll get my coat...........

LOL that made me chuckle, non-derogatory to dyslexics, yet remains funny