PDA

View Full Version : t4 1.9td wont start after replacing engine

azim
07-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Brought a long wheel base t4 1.9td on a S reg .
When i brought it the rear engine mount had broken from the block .
This required a engine change and a replacement engine was brought and fitted .
Im trying to start the new engine and it turns fine but will not start .
Timing of all pulleys and pump seem fine .
On closer inspection the fuel seems to get to the diesel pump ,but does not come out at the injector out lets .
I turn the key and the solenoid at the rear of the pump seems to click ,so i assume that is working .
Do i need to prime the pump using a hand held pump or should i try to tow start it .

Any advice would be appreciated .

1958steveflying
21-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Crack open all the injector pipes at the injector end... hold the accelerator pedal on the floor and turn the engine over until fuel comes out, be careful not to end up burning out the starter motor.

azim
21-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I have managed to get it started by using the method above along with manualy pumping the fuel through using a hand pump .

The engine starts fine but have encountered a new problem .
When the engine starts ,it revs out of control ,even though im not pressing the accelerator pedal .

I asked my knowledgable friends if they could locate the fault .
Under inspection they suspect the pump is at fault due to siezed internals .

Looks like ill be looking for a replacement pump .
If anyone has got one and not too far from Coventry ,please give me a ring on 0777232242 .

Cheers Azim

1958steveflying
21-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Cant you use the pump from your old engine ?

azim
21-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Cant you use the pump from your old engine ?

The pump from my old engine is knackered as well ( i think).

On close inspection the solenoid part is damaged with the wires feeding it looking damaged .
When plugged into the engine loome the solenoid doesnt operate on turning of the ignition .

Looked at swapping solenoids over but the solenoid is secured by snap off bolts(where the head breaks off after attaining correct torque) ,so no way to remove them .

Unless some one knows how to remove them and swap them over ?.

1958steveflying
21-08-2010, 09:02 PM
The pump from my old engine is knackered as well ( i think).

On close inspection the solenoid part is damaged with the wires feeding it looking damaged .
When plugged into the engine loome the solenoid doesnt operate on turning of the ignition .

Looked at swapping solenoids over but the solenoid is secured by snap off bolts(where the head breaks off after attaining correct torque) ,so no way to remove them .

Unless some one knows how to remove them and swap them over ?.

The security cover has to be removed by whatever means, the plastic type by breaking it up and the metal type by careful use of an angle grinder and the like. Once inside you will find the only part and wire needed is the solenoid and single power wire.

azim
21-08-2010, 09:54 PM
It seems to be a black plastic housing ,with 2 wires going into a circuit board .
I was told this was part of the imobiliser circuit and was not needed .

Im Just not brave enough to go for it at the moment .

Could you please elaborate on the proceedure you mentioned above for getting to the solenoid part .

1958steveflying
21-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Use whatever means you have/need to destroy/remove the plastic part. As you have been told the immobiliser part is not required. just test and use the ignition switched live feed to go to the stop solenoid.

azim
22-08-2010, 12:02 PM
I did the above this morning and have managed to get to the solenoid with out damaging the metal casing .
Tested the operation of the solenoid with a battery and it seems to be working ,so may be the fault was with the immobilizer circuit .

While dismantlingn the solenoid i managed to chop off the cables coming from the loom /plug ,so need to know which coloured cable go's on
postive and negative feed ?.

1958steveflying
22-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Sorry without a wiring diagram I have no idea, just use a multimeter and test for ignition live, that goes to the solenoid.

azim
22-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Ive managed to figure out the wires and have connected it to the engine loom and the solenoid is operating correctly .
So all that remains now is to fit it all in and hopefully if the pump is a good one ,were in buisness .

Watch this space will keep you updated ..

azim
24-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Installed the repaired diesel pump and timed up the Flywheel head and diesel pump .
Gave the engine a couple of rotations by hand to make sure there was no problems with the timing ,and nothing was out of place .
Cranked the engine while bleeding the fuel lines ,managed to get the engine running pretty quickly .
I am very happy that the diesel pump is working as it should and the engine is running fine bar a slight hi idle .

As with all work on new engine installs ,i seem to have a small fluid leek ,but its fair to say im one very happy bunny .

Thanks to all the help given ,thanks to you i have managed to repair what i believed was a duff diesel pump .

Cheers Guys ;)

1958steveflying
24-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Well done I like a happy ending.:beerchug: