PDA

View Full Version : What type of tyres on your A4 ?

Chucky666UK
04-07-2010, 10:33 PM
What tyres are you guys running on ??? Just came across a few posts about not mixing run flat with non-run flat. Bought myself a 2009 Audi A4 s line multi 3 weeks ago .. Have had problems with low mpg and steering vibration... Booked in at local dealers on Tuesday morning... Also I have 245/40/18 RFT (front) and 245/40/18 Non-RFT (Rear) running 31 psi in the back and 34 psi at front... Any advice on the tyres greatly appreciated!!!

ScottyUK
05-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Errrm I didn't think Audi were using any run flats.

As far as I'm aware all the B8's come with a space saver spare wheel.

FWIW - I certainly wouldn't mix them!!!

The pressures seem low to me from memory. What does it say on the sticker? (on the rear edge of the drivers door)

pitch3110
05-07-2010, 08:21 AM
Yep tyres are well deflated by the sound of it.

Steer clear of Pzero's. The tread disapears before your eyes.

Pitch

Bratty
05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Thing is if you are boring enough, then there is loads of info on tyres, manufacture dates (potentially important), tyre compound A,B +C, TREADWARE! what the hell is that?(three figure number) ??

Dunk

Chucky666UK
05-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the response guys!! Sorry... mistake all my tyres are non-runflat (Excuse me.. but I am a bit of a noob!!).. I set the pressure according to the sticker on the inside of my driver door... usually me on my own in the car with the kids and the wife on the odd occasion.... you guys havent told me what you psi you guys are running at!! Would love to know to see if it makes a difference to my mpg which has been sub 30 mpg of late (2.0 143 Multi S Line)!!!

Look forward to some more comments!!!

Cheers!

pitch3110
05-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the response guys!! Sorry... mistake all my tyres are non-runflat (Excuse me.. but I am a bit of a noob!!).. I set the pressure according to the sticker on the inside of my driver door... usually me on my own in the car with the kids and the wife on the odd occasion.... you guys havent told me what you psi you guys are running at!! Would love to know to see if it makes a difference to my mpg which has been sub 30 mpg of late (2.0 143 Multi S Line)!!!

Look forward to some more comments!!!

Cheers!

39 all round mate.

I have not changed my DIS for 1,900 miles and it reads 42.8mpg and that with lots of urban.

50+ on runs taking it easy.

Pitch

Chucky666UK
05-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks pitch!! I'm off to the pump to pump all my tires to 40 psi all round. Will report back to see if it makes a difference!

2.7 S-line
05-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks pitch!! I'm off to the pump to pump all my tires to 40 psi all round. Will report back to see if it makes a difference!

Chucky just remember Pitch is on 19" low profile tyres so he needs higher pressures than you would need on those 18" rims......

assuming you aren't on extra load tyres (ie yours are marked 95Y) you should be at 36 psi max any higher and you'll start to find you loose grip and get accelerated central wear on your tyres (not to mention a very harsh ride)

pitch3110
05-07-2010, 09:08 PM

I reakcon you ought to get it to the dealers for a check up.

5 urban miles home from cold this evening, stationery at lights twice for some time and tonking it in 'M' and it reads this

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/pitch3110/photo2.jpg

I will take one in the morning on the way in taking it easy and would expect to see mid 40's.

And this is not even on a run.
I think its pretty good for an auto

Pitch

pitch3110
05-07-2010, 09:09 PM
Chucky just remember Pitch is on 19" low profile tyres so he needs higher pressures than you would need on those 18" rims......

assuming you aren't on extra load tyres (ie yours are marked 95Y) you should be at 36 psi max any higher and you'll start to find you loose grip and get accelerated central wear on your tyres (not to mention a very harsh ride)

Good point and well spotted squire.

Ta

Pitch

Chucky666UK
06-07-2010, 06:44 AM
That's a very good point 2.7!! I've already pumped to 40 but will probably knock it down to 36 all round this morning before I drop it off at the dealers!! Pitch- your dis is making me very jealous! I have never tonked my car , and drive like a granny. A 10 mile gentle urban cruise in the evening around west Yorkshire with very limited traffic last night on 40 psi returned 30.3 on my dis. My overall average for the last 3 weeks is 28.5!! I hope the dealers find something - just hope they don't say that there is nothing wrong !

pitch3110
06-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Here goes........

7 roundabouts, stopped at two sets of lights and stuck to the 30 and 40 mph speed limits.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/pitch3110/IMG_0387.jpg

Pitch

Chucky666UK
06-07-2010, 03:07 PM
47.0 MPG??????? I'd be more than happy with that. In fact dropped off my car at the dealers this morning, picked up courtesy car (A4 SE same engine and transmission) drove to work from home, the trip computer read 43.2 mpg when i got there, compared to my car which normally reads 28.5 mpg!!! still waiting to hear from them!!

pitch3110
06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
47.0 MPG??????? I'd be more than happy with that. In fact dropped off my car at the dealers this morning, picked up courtesy car (A4 SE same engine and transmission) drove to work from home, the trip computer read 43.2 mpg when i got there, compared to my car which normally reads 28.5 mpg!!! still waiting to hear from them!!

May be on a run tomorrow so might even post a 50 something!!!!!!

Pitch

Crazyfool
06-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Pirelli Cinturato P7's...avoid them!!
...http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?90227-Rubbers!

I over inflated mine almost on purpose to 40(F) and 45(B) before we went to France because I knew we were going to be heavily loaded...and boy we were! I say almost on purpose because I read the wrong part of the sticker:banghead: and had inflated to fully laiden for the bigger wheel. The car was fine with the family and all the stuff in, but once it was emptied, you could feel all the bumps on the french roads. I haven't touched them since.

Chucky666UK
07-07-2010, 06:49 AM
Traditionally I have always opted for Continental Premium Contact 2 on my previous car (Golf Mk5). Immediately noticed how quiet and smooth they were when I replaced the Dunlops with them!! I'd say Dunlops are the worst tires I have had!! I have two at the rear on my Audi and am already looking to replace them!!

pitch3110
07-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Sorry to keep hijacking, but here's this mornings read out after a trip out to a meeting

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/pitch3110/IMG_0389.jpg

I would say though that my DIS can be as much as 3-5% out

Crazyfool
07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Unbelievable...I was loading the car ready to take the boys to school and nursery this morning when I noticed the rear tyre had a screw in it. It will need to be replaced because it is on the outer edge, but I am not entirely sure what to do. The tyres only have 8k worth of wear on them at the moment, so wasn't looking to change the type just yet but know that the P7's are rubbish...which is being polite.

markp306
07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Traditionally I have always opted for Continental Premium Contact 2 on my previous car (Golf Mk5). Immediately noticed how quiet and smooth they were when I replaced the Dunlops with them!! I'd say Dunlops are the worst tires I have had!! I have two at the rear on my Audi and am already looking to replace them!!

Just replaced the Contact 2's on the front with new ones after 18000 miles. Not exactly brilliant milage but Ok for a torquey FWD (?) and they are good all-rounders for wet/dry conditions.

I can't get them balanced though. I went back to ATS and they rebalanced them, claiming the weights had fallen off. It was great for about 5 minutes and now I am back to square one! The car is booked in for a service next month, so I will ask Audi to check it for me.

Anyone else having balancing problems? The alloys are the standard 17-inch SE type.

ceegee
13-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Had the same problem with mine, took back to Budget twice, still was not perfect, Got Audi to do it at next service and all is well now. The tyre fitters had previously put the weights on the inner edge of the wheel rather than where the original weights were located (don't know if that made a difference)