PDA

View Full Version : Question Golf Plus ride quality or not!

markyp11
04-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Hello, we have had the Golf Plus for 6 months now, and on the whole very pleased with the car. However the ride quality or lack of it, especially in the back is getting very tiresome. The car is a SE spec 05 plate TDi, its running on 15" rims with new Michelins. Does anybody else find this too?

genix
04-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi, never sat in the back but yes, the ride is rather on the hard side compared to other cars.
I guess this is valid for all Golfs, probably the price one pays for very precise handling in corners and minimum body roll...

markyp11
04-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes genix, I agree with you with regards the handling, very sharp and virtually no roll. I think the standard hatchback Golf rides better but I guess they have to make the Plus firmer because of the extra hieght. Unfortunatley my wife (whose car it is) is relooking at a Focus C-Max (our choice came down to this, the Golf Plus and the Seat Altea when we originally picked the VW) which is a shame because as I said before the VW is good in so many other areas.

ALF_A4
14-09-2010, 05:23 PM
It is fairly stiff for the type of car. We bought a 1.6FSI SE a few months ago and it is fine - but we wanted the 2-litre petrol engine ideally, and that (like the 2.0TDi) is sport-suspension only. The non-sport suspension with 15's feels to me about perfect - but it is a lot stiffer and more resistant to roll than I expected given the type of car, the SE spec, and the high-profile 15" tyres. I can't believe the sport suspension versions suit the buyers for this sort of car.

Then again, it is a lot more comfortable than the cars I choose (it's my wife's car) so it's all relative. VAG products in general have a ride which is stiff and often poorly suited to UK roads, I changed the shocks in my A4 S-Line as a result and it is much better - though hardly armchair. Mercedes, Alfa, and especially Ford do it better...