PDA

View Full Version : Please Help water dripping under car beneath driver's seat

bcm454
02-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi, I bought my TDI Golf Plus, 55 reg, in June and just discovered a trail of drips in the carpark at lunch time. This is about the first time I have used aircon and it seemed to blow cold air nicely. Under the driver's seat, undeneath, it looks like there is a heat sink but the water is dripping off the underside nearer the centre where the drive shaft would be in a rear wheel drive. Does anyone know if the aircon is down there? Any ideas about how expensive this could be? Might it be a hose or some expensive sealed unit? It seemed to stop when the aircon was not active.

Would the aircon be fed from the main cooling system or a separate system?

Any guidance gratefully received.

Also, I have been very careful with my right foot and the mpg reading has been saying 55-65mpg but I got a very disappointing 43.5 mpg when I filled up today. Are these metered readings really useless?

Regards
Brian

Issac Hunt
02-07-2010, 07:38 PM
If you are CERTAIN it's only water then it's nothing to worry about - it's just a drain for the water the AC has removed from the air entering the car.

The 'heat sink' you mention under the drivers seat area is the fuel cooler, if fluid is dripping from that then you may well have a fuel leak. Check and make sure what the fluid is.

bcm454
02-07-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi, I feel relieved. It was definitely a way away from the heat sink and I was certainly not diesel. However, I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks a lot

Regards.

Daking
26-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I have diesel dripping from the bottom of the car below the drivers seat on my 08 A4 Avant. It is dripping at four drops a minute - I spoke to the garage who said to take it in on Monday morning, but is it dangerous, can I still drive? Also, anyone know if it's likely to be an expensive fix? Any advice would be appreciated.
funny that it only started after I first noticed dripping water from below the passenger seat area. Audi said this is the condensate drain and nothing to worry about - the two can't be connected can they?
thanks.

zollaf
26-07-2014, 02:10 PM
if its dripping diesel then it should not be driven. heaven help anyone that skids on the mess you have left behind if it happens to rain, and heaven help you if the rear tyre gets covered in it and you skid. get it recovered to the garage.

Daking
26-07-2014, 05:59 PM
It's not dripping enough to cause anyone to skid.
One drop every 15 seconds when I first got home, could of hours later it's half do that.
Booked in for 11am Monday.

zollaf
26-07-2014, 06:18 PM
how much is dripping when its running ? doesn't take much diesel to make the road into a skidpan. if a bike goes over it then it almost certainly will be enough to cause a skid.