PDA

View Full Version : TSI tiptronic transmission question

grobvw
02-07-2010, 05:16 PM
I notice the GT-2.0 litre TSI 200 PS automatic gearbox is described as "tiptronic" unlike all the other model variant boxes which are DSG.

2 QUESTIONS

1. Why the anomaly? Is it due to the 2.0 litre engine characteristics?

2. Exactly what technology is "tiptronic" in this case? Is it the torque converter type or CVT or single automated clutch?

DSG4ME
03-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Tip is normally an automatic box with the ability to shift manually.

afaik the CC comes with a Tip enabled DSG, way to tell is look at the fuel figures, if the urban says 21/22 it's a normal auto, if it says28/29 it's a DSG, hth.

gamichea
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
The Sept.09 pricelist I have lists the 2.0TSI auto option as auto tiptronic which is a torque converter box with a manual shift option (tiptronic) to the side of the main gate.

All TDI auto CCs have a 6 speed DSG and the 1.8 TSI has a 7 speed DSG. The 6 speed has wet clutches and a bigger torque capacity than the 7 speed which has dry clutches. Both DSGs have tiptronic as well.

No idea why the 2.0TSI is not offered with DSG. The 6 speed DSG is standard fit for the 3.6 V6 petrol.

grobvw
03-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. Its a mystery as to why and may remain so. I would like it confirmed its a torque converter box. :confused: From the brochure fuel consumption figures it does look like a torque converter box???

DSG4ME
04-07-2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. Its a mystery as to why

I expect they either can't get the software right to mate them up, or they want to offer a model for those that don't like DSG, or the power output damages the DSG, highly unlikely as, as Gam says the V6 has one.

gamichea
04-07-2010, 10:17 AM
I'd guess this 200bhp version of the 2.0TSI is on borrowed time. It does not make many appearances in the range these days (CC, Jetta, Eos). The 210bhp version in the Golf, Scirocco, etc. is more efficient and can be had with DSG as can the 270bhp version in the Golf R & Scirocco R. The efficiency thing means torque converter gearboxes will largely defer to DSGs in the drive to lower corporate (i.e.average across the range/sales) fuel consumption which leads to lower corporate taxation which obviously benefits the bottom line.