PDA

View Full Version : First Audi, love it

1.9 red I
02-07-2010, 07:08 AM
Hello, My name is Dave and I bought my first audi a couple days ago. The car is really simple and basic but I am really happy with it. It is a 98 A4 1.9. The badge on the boot lid has a red "I" and I thought I heard somewhere (TV show I think) that the red badge has more power. I would like to know how much Bhp and torque my 1.9 makes because I have seen 4 different out puts.

I can only keep the car for another year before I go back to America so the smart thing to do is just drive it as is but I can't keep myself from looking at wheels and suspension and cat back exhaust's and intakes. One of my rims has a pretty sizable dent in it, maybe I could find a replacement for it on here, possibly in the form of 4 x 17" wheels :)

I am leaving for a road trip today. I want to see what kind of motor way milage I can pull, I am expecting 50 mpg.

I haven't taken any pics of the car yet but I will have the DSLR with me this weekend so I's sure I could take one. Maybe a sunset pics to help hide all the little flaws.
:beerchug:cheers

mpgscott74
04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Welcome.

1.9 red I
05-07-2010, 03:01 PM
I am sad to say I didn't get the milage I was looking for. At 240 miles my 1.9 tdi had sucked down 3/4 of a tank. When I pulled off the road I noticed a serious fuel leak, it was so bad it had covered the back of the car in diesel. I pulled into the nearest Audi dealer to get it looked at. While I was waiting I had a look around the engine. The 4th injector (rear most) had some fuel around it and the return line had a tear near the connection. The technician came out and I showed him what I found and he took the car into the garage.

A crack in the intercooler explained the loud noise that I thought was the waste gate dumping air and the poor performance. The fuel lines were the wrong size so they replaced them and it cost me 15 quid. If that was all they charged I would have been a happy clam but they charged me an additional 85 pounds to "diagnose" a fuel leak, which I thought was kind of ******** because it took ME 2 min to find the leak.

Once I stopped painting the streets with diesel I was getting much better milage, right now it is looking like 350 miles for the first half of the tank.

So...
tank = 62L.
3.8L = 1gal
62/3.8 = 16.3 (gal per tank)
350/8.15 = 42.9 miles per gal (roughly)

Thats not too bad considering the car is still not running properly (needs new IC) and the fact that I drive fast.

Overall I am happy with it, I just need the guy I bought it from to either cough up some dosh for the broken bits or fix them and we will be square.

couple pics. I took some but still need to downloaad em, my wife took this one from our house
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c375/kmaberry/IMG_6009.jpg

just a normal A4 nothing special

Guest 2
05-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Chris

James05
05-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Dave - if you are converting to UK gallons it is 4.546 litres to a gallon.

I *think* 3.8 litres is a US gallon.

Regards
James
:beerchug:

1.9 red I
05-07-2010, 07:20 PM
wow. thats news to me. thanks though.

1.9 red I
07-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Can anyone tell me why my oil temp and water temt gauges are only moving a little. neither one is centering on the gauge as most cars do. The motor had a blown hg, is it posible the sensors are nackered?