PDA

View Full Version : Broken plastic cover - windscreen and bonnet

magicmillerman
05-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I need a part name/number for the the plastic cover between the windscreen and the bonnet. It covers various parts along the engine bay including the battery and wiper mechanisum.
It was broken when I bought the car, needs replacing cos everytime I wash the car water runs on the battery which is not good!
Craig

Dave Elcome
05-06-2007, 08:17 PM
I need a part name/number for the the plastic cover between the windscreen and the bonnet.

Oh Poo!! I only threw the receipt out yesterday!! Obviously I can't recall the part number, but I do remember that it was around £13. Hope this helps.

snapdragon
05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Register at http://www.vagcat.com/ for free and look at the parts diagram. I remember finding it on there, but didn't buy one as I couldn't get wipers off!

ahsanx
05-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I need a part name/number for the the plastic cover between the windscreen and the bonnet. It covers various parts along the engine bay including the battery and wiper mechanisum.
It was broken when I bought the car, needs replacing cos everytime I wash the car water runs on the battery which is not good!
Craig

i orederd one of these on monday 10.50+vat ,i just asked for a windscreen cowl/leaf deflector!! let me knw if u got any good tips on how to remove the wipers ive heard a pullers the best bet!!

magicmillerman
06-06-2007, 06:31 AM
i orederd one of these on monday 10.50+vat ,i just asked for a windscreen cowl/leaf deflector!! let me knw if u got any good tips on how to remove the wipers ive heard a pullers the best bet!!

Did you buy this part direct from a VW garage?

ahsanx
06-06-2007, 08:17 PM
surprisingly yes i thought it would be more expensive!!

Coupe16v
06-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I've just bought one for my Coupe and that was only £15 including VAT from Audi! Not bad eh?

SONICtheONE
06-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I think the part number from VW is W3B2 819 415 EB 41. called a Water Deflector.

magicmillerman
07-06-2007, 06:23 AM
cheers for your help, i'll order one ASAP.
I'll forward any tips on wiper removel later cheers

ahsanx
07-06-2007, 12:32 PM
cheers for your help, i'll order one ASAP.
I'll forward any tips on wiper removel later cheers

lol ill hold you to that ,but i do believe its gonna be the puller:biglaugh:

SONICtheONE
07-06-2007, 07:07 PM
To remove the wiper arms I normally,
1) Mark a line with Tippex or similar between the spindle and the arm. easy marker for refitting,
2) Loosen the nuts but don't remove just yet,
3) Pull and wiggle the wiper arms up the screen (in the same way they would clear the screen) holding from where the blades connect to the arm. This should break the holding grip of the spindle.
4) Remove the nuts fully then the arms, be careful of the spring in the arm, make sure it doesn't spring back and crack the screen.

The arms are different, so remember which ones which. This normally works, if not it's time for a puller.

ahsanx
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
To remove the wiper arms I normally,
1) Mark a line with Tippex or similar between the spindle and the arm. easy marker for refitting,
2) Loosen the nuts but don't remove just yet,
3) Pull and wiggle the wiper arms up the screen (in the same way they would clear the screen) holding from where the blades connect to the arm. This should break the holding grip of the spindle.
4) Remove the nuts fully then the arms, be careful of the spring in the arm, make sure it doesn't spring back and crack the screen.

The arms are different, so remember which ones which. This normally works, if not it's time for a puller.

thanks for the advice on this sonic i just done them last night someone else told me the exact same thing and it worked brilliant advice im sure many otheres will find this helpful aswell :fing02:

Flash2
07-06-2007, 07:54 PM
It makes things a little easier too if you get the blades at the end of their sweep, i.e. vertical rather than in their parked position. Put the ignition on and push the wiper stalk down so the wipers will do a single sweep then turn the ignition off when the blades are in the verticle position. On newer VWs, instead of switching the ignition off you need to pull the bonnet release to stop the wiper motor.

Jim.