PDA

View Full Version : steptronic gearbox

markgrff17
27-06-2010, 11:17 AM
hi everyone

just a question with ref to my 1999 1.8t sport with step tronic gearbox. i have recently notice that when backing of the throttle (ie no engine load) the engine/gearbox produces a strange noise ( sounds like a metalic ring spinning on a shaft) the noise can only be heard from inside the car when the windows are lowered.

everything seems to function correctly, i was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction (difficult with not hearing it yourselves i know)

cheers................ mark

DSG4ME
27-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Check around the drive belts for pulley wear, you should be able to replicate it stationary with some revs, cooling fan bearings should be checked, and if yours has an alternator with a clutch pulley I would suspect this to be the culprit tbh.

markgrff17
28-06-2010, 10:12 PM
cheers for the reply.
i recently did the cambelt and tensioner, water pump etc but i did not change the polyvee tension or air con one as there are easy to remove. so i'll drop them off and check them over!!

DSG4ME
29-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Check the tensioner, and the alternator pully, if it's gone you can just get a new pulley clutch wheel fitted to it, of a recon is around £120-£180 exchange, £400 new, tensioner is about £80 iirc, use GSF for parts unless you can find cheaper.