PDA

View Full Version : 05 ibiza front suspension

villager
25-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Have been told the front suspension rear bushes are worn. Main dealer states the originals have now been modified. has anyone replaced bushes recently and was it easy

Barry_Convex
08-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Well a reply after 2 months is better than none, maybe it'll help someone else in the future...

I'm trying to imagine which bushes are the "rear" bushes at the front. If it's the rear ones in the wishbone then just buy complete wishbones, only about £15 more than the single bushing, much easier than pressing out old and pressing in new bushings, replaces 3 bits of rubber at once.

More importantly, check all the rest of the front end rubber: drop links, anti roll bar bushes. If one or two have gone then the rest may be on the way out too (mine all went within 10k miles of each other, at around 110k) It's worth doing all of them at once so you're good for another 100k miles and only need to get it tracked/aligned once. The parts are relatively cheap and can all be done in one session.

Crasher
08-08-2010, 06:29 PM
He has a later car, the 9N type wishbone rear bush is in a consul bolted to the floor, it is not in the wishbone itself.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/9Nconsulbushin.jpg

scotini69
30-08-2010, 09:35 PM
MAN IF I HAD A PENNY FOR EVERY IBIZA AND POLO LOWER ARM REAR BUSH IVE REPLACED ID BE A MILLIONAIRE, THEY COST AROUND 7 QUID EACH AND YES NEW BUSHES ARE MODIFIED
1REMOVE LOWER ARMS WITH BUSH INTACT IE DISCONECT ANTI ROLL BAR BOTTOM BALL JOINT ETC
CAREFULLY HAMMER OUT OLD BUSHES AND CLEAN THE ALLOY SURROUND WITH EMERY CLOTH!!! this is vital!!!!!!!!!! NOW USE WD 40 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND SOKE BUSHES AND ARM INSERT. DO NOT USE GREASE!!!!
GET A LARGE VU\ICE AND SLOWLY AND EVENLY PUSH THE NEW BUSHES INTO PLACE PREFERABLY USING A FLAT METAL PIECE AT EACH END INSTEAD OF THE EDGES OF VICE HITTING AND PUSHING THE BUSH, BE VERY SLOW AND CAREFULL, KEEP LUBRICATING THROUGHOUT TILL BUSHES IN PLACE , THEN ALSO WHEN FITTING ARMS BACK ON ALLWAYS ALLWAYS SCREW THE FRONT LOWER ARM BUSH BOLTS IN AFEW TEETH BEFORE BUILDING UP THE REST AS IT IS SO EASY TO STRIP TYHE ALLOY IF BOLT AT AN ANGLE!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!!!!

Crasher
30-08-2010, 11:43 PM
That would be, 100,000,000; more 9N's than could ever be built but I get your meaning

Mrsonic
12-08-2015, 02:14 AM
If misalignment can occur when removing the consul from the subframe how come Haynes manual for vw polo 2002 to May 2005 says

"if it is required to renew the rear mountain rubber , unbolt the mountain bracket from the subframe"

haynes says to take the bracket and the wishbone to a vw dealer to have the bushes pressed in.

then it says

"refit the mounting bracket to the subframe and tighten the bolts to the specified torque."

then it goes on to list other todo work

questions

haynes has told the diy mechanic to take the consul and wishbone to a vw dealer ;it said nothing about misalignment of the subframe.
if there was a dangerous of misalignment how come Haynes omitted important piece of information?

For reference purpose

page 10.8

section 5

vw polo 2002 to May 2005

scotini69
12-08-2015, 07:49 AM
I suggest you ditch the Haynes manuals and get the proper VW manuals. You need to loosen the entire sub frame to do these bushes and the the sub frame bolt holes are slightly elongated meaning it moves. If you don't believe me do the bushes and when you road test the car the steering wheel will be out of alignment. I've worked for SEAT for 20 years and replaced hundreds of these bushes.

Crasher
12-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Ohh no, the VW manual must be wrong as Haynes is always right, that includes the two manuals for the Golf 7 and T5 they sent me last year to review and I panned them so badly that they would not print the review.

The VW manual states in the third paragraph, before removing the consul bolts "Fix position of subframe"

This is the procedure from the VW workshop system elsawin (edited for brevity)

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/9N%20consul%20alignment_zpswbf61qmh.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Crasher1964/media/9N%20consul%20alignment_zpswbf61qmh.jpg.html)
If you make a habit of raking up and questioning six year old posts, I have the feeling you won't be able to log on for long.....:banned:

zollaf
12-08-2015, 11:40 AM
technically i suppose you can do it the haynes way, ( one picture in the series landrover mag shows them assemble a synchromesh the wrong way round, idiots) but the car just won't drive in a straight line afterwards, but will go round one corner really well , and not so well the other.

Mrsonic
12-08-2015, 04:47 PM
I suggest you ditch the Haynes manuals and get the proper VW manuals. You need to loosen the entire sub frame to do these bushes and the the sub frame bolt holes are slightly elongated meaning it moves. If you don't believe me do the bushes and when you road test the car the steering wheel will be out of alignment. I've worked for SEAT for 20 years and replaced hundreds of these bushes.

i followed their bas tard instructions without even being aware that i had to loosen the entire sub frame. they attribute to themselves " the best selling car manual in the world"

Mrsonic
13-08-2015, 10:22 AM
i think i may have gotten away with the problem you mentioned. no sign of the steering out of alignment and can goes perfectly straight even when i am not holding the steering wheel.

mw05
26-03-2016, 12:26 AM
technically i suppose you can do it the haynes way, ( one picture in the series landrover mag shows them assemble a synchromesh the wrong way round, idiots) but the car just won't drive in a straight line afterwards, but will go round one corner really well , and not so well the other.

I once had an old Mini that did that. I slightly modified it by sliding sidewards into a rather stout post...