PDA

View Full Version : Another day and another problem

windy1978
25-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Well after draining my coolant and changing the thermostat I thought I was on a high with my car but I have now noticed something else wrong with it. When it is cold (i.e first thing in the morning) the car revs quite high but after a short drive it will settle down when I restart the car (i.e when warm). I have changed the G62 sensor and MFTS but to no avail, is there something I have missed as VAG-COM draws a blank and it is starting to worry me:confused:

She is a 1995 A6 2.6 (ABC engine code).

Thanks

Crasher
25-06-2010, 01:09 PM
You need to set the engine up and for this you will require a registered copy of VAG-COM and the instructions, it is a long winded process. It is also possible that the idle valve is faulty or dirty.

windy1978
25-06-2010, 01:34 PM
How do you mean set up th engine? I have a registered version of VCDS-lite but I am not sure what you mean for me to set up.

Thanks

Crasher
25-06-2010, 01:46 PM
There is a long winded process in "Basic Settings 04" to carry out, using VCDS. If you like I will email you the instructions. PM me your email if you would like them.

windy1978
25-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks Crasher, I found some info on the Ross-Tech website and gave that ago but I now need to let my engine cool to see if it has worked.

I will let you know how I get on later on.

windy1978
02-07-2010, 08:55 PM
I still have idle problems..

Where is the idle control valve on a 1995 2.6 ABC engine as I want to check it it is working properly?

Crasher
02-07-2010, 11:28 PM
It is in the side of the inlet manifold. Without a suitable diagnostic system you cannot fully deal with the idle on an ABC, it needs to be set up according to the instructions and is a painful process.

windy1978
05-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Well it has been a long day tinkering with my engine and I think that I have finally sourced my problem. I spent ages using VCDS-lite to try and setup my ICV and TB but with no luck. I checked the throttle cable and even took off the TB and cleanned them and gave it a quick check with not luck. Finally I had another go at cleanning my ICV and this is where the problem came. When I took it out I thought that it looked a bit wierd, I check with a photo of one on Ebay (by typing in the part number in to the search engine) and realised that mine was missing the metal cap. I looked inside and found it stuck in the inlet manifold, I managed to pull it our and cleanned all the blank gunk inside the mainfold.

My ICV is knackered and I have spent ages asking people what to do and hours with grease and muck up my arms tring to fix it and it turns out to be something that has two bolts and one electrical plug and took me ten minutes to remove. Well I have ordered a replacement and I want to thanks Crasher for all his help with this problem (cheers mate!!).

Crasher
05-07-2010, 09:48 PM
No point cleaning or messing around with an ABC throttle body, it is not motorised.

I did say in my second post that the idle valve may be faulty, I have replaced a lot in the past.

It changed part number in 1995 at chassis wauzzz4AzSN026714 from 078 133 455 to 078 133 455 D and the later part is twice the price of the earlier one.

These are available from a number of sources other than Audi, I would go for one from VDO or Pierburg.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/ABCidlevalves.jpg