PDA

View Full Version : mk3 golf 2.0 gti electrical nightmare + stalling???

pye
08-03-2006, 09:31 PM
hi
i have a mk3 golf gti 2.0, colour concept, which i lurve; had it 18m now but weird faults happening:

some kind of electrical problem as the clock resets itself to 00.00 sometimes when i start ignition; the sunroof no longer closes on the total closure alarm; driver's heated seat element has blown (had both seat + back parts changed just over 1y ago so now out of warranty) again!!!

also car stalls when i'm idling/freewheeling/ slowing down at corners which is well dangerous as i lose the power steering!!- a mechanic changed the rotor arm which has helped alot but problem still there. have seen another thread re this tho so will check the oxygen sensor + idle control valve.

any usefuls ideas what else to do, esp re electrics, well appreciated.:1zhelp:

ali-mk3 golf
09-03-2006, 07:59 PM
if the sunroof still close's off the key in the door(turn to lock and hold) then its the same problem i had with my clifford full closure!
which is now dis connectted!

pye
15-03-2006, 08:43 PM
that was no help at all!

main problem is what's going on with the electrics- i'll take it to a mechanic but has anyone any ideas about what it may be??

ali-mk3 golf
15-03-2006, 10:26 PM
sorry,but if telling you my aftermarket alarm messed up my electric's is any help go see your vw dealer and take your wallet with you!

sorry i wasn't any help! :confused:

pye
18-03-2006, 05:10 PM
thanks for your thoughts but the alarm is the least of my problems and i had it fitted >1y ago; the sunroof thing is fairly recent.
i'm more concerned about why when i start up sometimes i hear a whirring noise for few secs then the dash displays have rest to zero?
also why my heated seat has gone again?

ali-mk3 golf
19-03-2006, 12:32 AM
stab in the dark but a whirling sound on start up would be the starter motor which can make funny nosie's also if there were an electrical fualt with it,it may be shorting out causing the clocks to reset?
dunno bout seats.....:confused:

al_P
10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
shot in the dark but have you checked to see if you have earth fault also some vw's have problems with winscreens leaking and water going on to back of fuse box. worth a look

my vw has spent 4 of the last 7 months in vw dealer gettin fixed :( not down to electrics though warrantee keep repairing gearbox on cheap and it keeps blowing up :( this time its put 3 holes in diff :(

pye
10-04-2006, 11:29 PM
i'll mention that
car is now in garage as it wouldn't start!!! when i turn key it turns over (bit slower than usual) but doesn't fire; petrol ok, can't jump start it ?????????????

lt100ka
20-11-2006, 11:44 AM
hi
i have a mk3 golf gti 2.0, colour concept, which i lurve; had it 18m now but weird faults happening:

some kind of electrical problem as the clock resets itself to 00.00 sometimes when i start ignition; the sunroof no longer closes on the total closure alarm; driver's heated seat element has blown (had both seat + back parts changed just over 1y ago so now out of warranty) again!!!

also car stalls when i'm idling/freewheeling/ slowing down at corners which is well dangerous as i lose the power steering!!- a mechanic changed the rotor arm which has helped alot but problem still there. have seen another thread re this tho so will check the oxygen sensor + idle control valve.

any usefuls ideas what else to do, esp re electrics, well appreciated.:1zhelp:

I have a mk3 golf (95) 1.6, I have a similar problem, at idle the revs drop, it struggles starting without the accelerator pedal and the clocks reset when the key is taken out.

I do not have an alarm system or modifications.

Any ideas?

adamss24
21-11-2006, 09:35 AM
You may wanna change the ignition switch and the main ECU relay. Also do not jump start the car as when battery its flat you may screw the basic settings or even fry the ECU. Charge the battery and start the normal way. Cars nowadays are more sensitive than they used to be as soo many electrical sensors/gadgets were implemented ! Also check camshaft and crankshaft position sensors and the knock sensor as well as they may be unrelated but will give similar symptoms and lead to a non starting/poor performance engine. Hope this helps.

VWTDIMAN
04-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi

I had a total closure problem too on the sunroof with my MKIII GL TDi GOLF. Apparently, this is not uncommon. The local VW dealership were unable to rectify the problem although, once the car was returned to me, it suddenly worked again. Problem may be caused by damp/water getting into the electrics.

Martin

Kevon29
02-08-2007, 08:13 PM
I have a problem with the Camshaft Position Sensor the Fault reads, Camshaft Position Sensor short to Ground The car is going quite well but at 2000 rpm theres a low in the power output then it picks up. Can anyone help ? Thanks

VWTDIMAN
02-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Ask to speak to Bob Powney on 01326 555666. He services my Mk V Golf. He'll speak to one of the VW Technicians at Helston (No 1 Garage in UK and VERY friendly).

Let me know how you get on.

Martin
VWTDIMAN

golfergve
06-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I have heard of this sort of problem general electrical mayhem and have sufered from it on a passat tdi. On TDi's ( not sure if this applies to petrol engines ) check or change the relay 109, it can let go sometines and cut the engine computer off. This has been the cause of sudden cut outs during driving.
For general electrical mayhem, it would be a good idea to check or change the ignition switch ( just the electrical part ) they fall apart inside and cause all sorts of shorts and wierd stuff. I didnt believe this cure when told but it was true, the cars was a differenbt animal after the change. I still cant explain how this fault caused the problems. I had headlights that I couldnt turn off, electric windows that worked only when not required, a whole heap of starting and power problems, fuel pump not working and much more but all at different times and sometimes the car was fine for 2 or three days then back to tricks.
My VW dealer said it was the ECM and I needed a new one so I got one. It made no difference at all.
A new realy and ign switch is far cheaper and cured all the problems. 25000 km later and all is well ( old ecm re installed and the new one sold on ebay )

Good luck

PS if you have an aftermarket alarm installed, cut all the wires and try it without, Alarms cause many problems for many reasons