PDA

View Full Version : Scammers

Tractorman
21-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Just had an interesting morning with a woman (very asian) from "Microsoft". Apparently I had been sending error reports to them. I let her go through events logs etc and then she wanted me to do a remote connection. Her phone cut out rather too often, so I rang Microsoft as I was getting somewhat suspicious!

Of course, it's a scammer - just wanting access to my machine.

She rang back again and I was that fed up, I sent her away with a flea in her ear. She rang back again and I almost swore at her!!

I've had a few trying it on lately, but this is the first to use the dreaded "Microsoft" name as an attempt to authenticate themselves.

So, for the less suspicious - let this be a warning!

nc7503
23-06-2010, 08:03 PM
thanks for the heads up on that splitarses eh:D !!!subscribe to the tps service this more or less filters out these type of calls

ImCammers
01-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Just had an interesting morning with a woman (very asian) from "Microsoft". Apparently I had been sending error reports to them. I let her go through events logs etc and then she wanted me to do a remote connection. Her phone cut out rather too often, so I rang Microsoft as I was getting somewhat suspicious!

She rang back again and I was that fed up, I sent her away with a flea in her ear. She rang back again and I almost swore at her!!

I've had a few trying it on lately, but this is the first to use the dreaded "Microsoft" name as an attempt to authenticate themselves.

It's very unlikely they would have got your phone number through yourself sending an error report. Yes, if they did the research it could be traced, but that would require Microsoft contacting your ISP and they're not going to do that for every 'Error Report' they receive.

Guest 2
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Get a Mac ;)

Hex69
04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Get a Mac ;)

Yes, 'cos Apple is immune from attacks..

iPhone at risk from security flaw (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10865288)

Guest 2
04-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Yes, 'cos Apple is immune from attacks..

iPhone at risk from security flaw (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10865288)

Oh ..

potshot
04-08-2010, 05:04 PM
thanks for the heads up on that splitarses eh:D !!!subscribe to the tps service this more or less filters out these type of calls

It will for UK callers and maybe some Europe callers BUT it will not stop the 'dusky' callers using internet phones or any other phones.

Tractorman
20-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I forgot about this thread, so here are my later thoughts!

We are already on any "preference" organisation you can think of! It doesn't stop an awful lot of calls though! As my mother tries to get to the phones, I had to think of a better solution. She's 88 and has Alzheimer's - but sounds plausible, so people left messages. I would hear the high pitched beeping later - she always left the phone off the hook!

The solution is amazingly simple, though slightly more expensive than some - an answer phone!

Most of my friends know to ring in the evening and, although I am usually near the phone, I can monitor the calls and, if there's someone I want to talk to, I can interrupt the message. If not, I leave it. There are still a few "non-messages" - I guess from telesales etc, but anything I've done 1471 for have been either nuisance numbers or unidentified ones.

Surprisingly, since then, the number of nuisance calls (on the answering machine) has fallen from up to five a day to three in a month!