PDA

View Full Version : Passat TDi 130 Sport Gearbox

macaudi
20-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi folks,

I have a 2002 Passat TDi 130 sport with a gearbox issue (final drive bearings knackered - I understand this is a fairly common problem)

I wanted to buy a second hand gearbox but am having problems finding out what other models (if any) of audi's/VWs etc have the same gearbox?

The engine code is AVF, and the gearbox code is FRK (its the 6 speed sport model).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mac.

Crasher
20-06-2010, 05:13 PM
The ELN is compatible with an FRK.

yagayo83
21-06-2010, 08:12 AM
I think it's best to get best your box reconditioned a second hand box could have the same problem i got my box done last month it cost 610euro iv done 2k mile's and everything is fine no more winning:D

macaudi
22-06-2010, 12:32 AM
That was my first thought but judging by the noises coming from the diff God knows how much crap is in circulation. I'm not sure I would have that much confidence in a "reconditioned", box.

yagayo83
22-06-2010, 08:51 AM
well it depends on who does the work im really happy with mine its a common problem iv so a second hand box could have the same fault of develop it not long after you have fitted and how ****** would u be then:mad: the guy that done mine said he does them all the time he seemed to know what he was talkin about and i got the car back the next day

Crasher
22-06-2010, 01:14 PM
The problem with reconditioned boxes is “con or recon” and as yagayo says, it depends on who does it. The vast majority of people requiring a reconditioned box have only one criterion, as cheap as possible and that is where the ****-up’s begin. Pay a good price from a reputable reconditioner and you will have no problems.

scotty33
22-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Audi A4 GHB code will fit and work ok but has different driveshaft flanges and no vehicle speed sensor fitted.
If you go for a recon, ensure you have the correct VAG oil or Fuchs titan sintofluid 75W/80 as the oil used. Most gearbox oils are more viscous and can cause poor cold gearchanges.

macaudi
22-06-2010, 11:28 PM
I think you hit the right note there, I've got a feeling a proper recon box would cost a bit more than I can afford. Hence my preference for a good second hand one. I have to admit to being a bit surprised at finding this problem with a fairly low mileage Getrag box though. From the small amount of research I have done it does seem that it is a known "issue" with possible causes such as low oil level, to much pre load on the bearings, or faulty componants. The boxes are even highly sensitive to the correct make of oil.