PDA

View Full Version : Passat 2.0 TDi - some questions

GilesC
04-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Just joined having purchased an ex-demo 2.0 TDi Passat SE (Oct 06 on a 56 plate with 23,000 miles). I'm really pleased but have some niggles (other than the rattles :))

1. Reasonably regularly (perhaps once a day) - I insert the fob, push it in and ..... nothing happens at all. Usually resolved by taking the fob out again, locking and then unlocking the doors (while sat in the driver seat) and then trying to start the engine again. Anything I'm missing here?

2. The boot suddenly developed a death wish and decided to keep opening on its own. Called out VAG Assist and they have disconnected the boot lock - they think its the switch in the door that has shorted out. Booked the car in at the dealers.

3. There is surface rust around the wheel hubs (ie the part the alloy wheel bolts onto). Seems to be approx the same on all the hubs - like a line approx 1 inch wide for around 75% of the circumference of the hub. Anybody else experienced this?

This a great forum btw and I am slowly working my way around the rattle solutions. Best one so far was the fix for the rattle that sounded like it was the glovebox but was actually the plastic wheel arch fitting. Fixed my noisiest that did:approve:.

Giles

carl s
05-06-2007, 11:53 AM
The wheel hub rust as you say is actually part of the brake disk. VW won't do anything about it as they say it's normal for disks to rust. You can however wire brush it off and paint it in silver rust proof paint. (I did this with my old Seat Leon that did the same)

Sam
05-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Look in any open air car park after it has been raining and you'll see lots of cars with what looks like rusty discs. It's perfectly normal.

GilesC
05-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Just to clarify - its not the discs that are rusting, its the actual hubs. As you look at the wheel, its the silver (painted mostly) area which the discs protrude out from. I don't mind the repainting - its the fact they are rusting at all that niggles.

Giles

Quatrelle
05-06-2007, 08:13 PM
The hubs, like the discs, are iron, so will rust. On starting, do you wait for the glowplug light to go out (although in the warm weather it's not so important), do you push the clutch right out - also very important for the parking brake to work properly! The boot lid having a mind of its own is not uncommon and VW should be able to fix that. Have a look at http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm
for some more faults. Don't be put off though, there are a lot of very happy owners out there.

GilesC
05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi & thanks to all for your thoughts.

Re the hubs. I understand that they rust due to the iron. Just would be nice to have seen the silver paint last more than 8 months.:(

Re the boot lid. Yes - having asked at work someone there said they had exactly the same problem so I shall be interested to see if the dealer goes "Nah - really unusual. Opening on its own you say .. Can't think what might have caused that"!

Re the starting. I think the clutch not being absolutely right down might be the cause. I shall experiment and thank you.:approve:

Overall - I am still very pleased with the car so I'm not put off.

Giles

jc2402
06-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Hey Guys,
Picked up my 06 se model last week & am really pleased wiith it,checked my wheels & they seeem fine allthough its only done 9k,
have looked at fitting an aftermarket H I D light kit but there seems to be no-where to mount the ballast....Looked on the dealer website & it appears to be an all in one double model (dip & main) Any one have any info on how it can be done????

DaveA
15-06-2007, 08:41 AM
I have to agree this is an excellent forum especially after reading your message I've been able to find the cause of my very annoying and persistent rattle that up until now I've not been able to track down. It turned out to be the plastic wheel arch fixing which I've popped back in and the rattle has gone !! I can now get on with enjoying an otherwise very good car.

Dave

Hi everyone,

Just joined having purchased an ex-demo 2.0 TDi Passat SE (Oct 06 on a 56 plate with 23,000 miles). I'm really pleased but have some niggles (other than the rattles :))

1. Reasonably regularly (perhaps once a day) - I insert the fob, push it in and ..... nothing happens at all. Usually resolved by taking the fob out again, locking and then unlocking the doors (while sat in the driver seat) and then trying to start the engine again. Anything I'm missing here?

2. The boot suddenly developed a death wish and decided to keep opening on its own. Called out VAG Assist and they have disconnected the boot lock - they think its the switch in the door that has shorted out. Booked the car in at the dealers.

3. There is surface rust around the wheel hubs (ie the part the alloy wheel bolts onto). Seems to be approx the same on all the hubs - like a line approx 1 inch wide for around 75% of the circumference of the hub. Anybody else experienced this?

This a great forum btw and I am slowly working my way around the rattle solutions. Best one so far was the fix for the rattle that sounded like it was the glovebox but was actually the plastic wheel arch fitting. Fixed my noisiest that did:approve:.

Giles

beclee
22-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Giles

your not alone here with this prob. I've just had my in today for that very prob. They said they have adjusted the timers and sensitivity for the alarm system.

I suggest you get it looked at. Mine seem to be more of a pain in the latter part of the day. I thought the heat my of had a play in messing the alrm system up